The Ancient Parish of BOLTON UPON DEARNE
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2007]
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"BOLTON UPON DEARNE, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Strafforth and
Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; 7½ miles N. of Rotherham, Barnsley, and
Doncaster, 38 from York. Pop. 623. The Church is a perpetual curacy,
dedicated to St. Andrew, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, ~£6. 15s. 4d.
p.r. £60. to £70. Patrons, the Executors, of William Marsden, Esq. Bacon
styles it a vicarage."
"GOLDTHORPE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Bolton upon Dearne, liberty
of Tickhill; 7 miles E. of Barnsley and Doncaster."
"GOLDTHORPE LANE ENDS, a hamlet in the township and parish of Bolton upon Dearne;
7 miles from Barnsley, 8 from Doncaster."
Christmas Recollections, a poem written by Mathew Naylor probably
in the 1860s and containing names of people he knew.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The following transcriptions are transcriptions of transcriptions originally done in 1988
by Wath and Mexborough Archives. These documents have many typographical errors and so we
cannot vouch for the accuracy in the original transcription. If you find anything of interest
here, please be sure to check the original Parish Registers source material.
Transcriptions by Jack Parry of:
- The Baptism Registers for Bolton upon Dearne Parish:
- The Marriage Registers for Bolton upon Dearne Parish:
- The Burial Registers for Bolton upon Dearne Parish:
- The Methodist Baptism Registers for Bolton upon Dearne (Furlong Road):
- The Methodist Baptism Registers for Bolton upon Dearne, Goldthorpe and Thurnscoe.
- The Methodist Baptism Registers for Goldthorpe:
- The Wesleyan Methodist Baptism Registers for Goldthorpe:
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the
Parish of Bolton upon Dearne.
- Here is a transcription by Ronald Crossland and Walt Norris of
"The Inclosure Awards of 1761-67"
for Bolton upon Dearne with Goldthorpe
giving the records of the results of the (hated) land enclosure acts.
The data is transcribed from the original held by the Barnsley
library and contains many names of the people of the town.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient)
parish, but I have no further information on them other than
the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- Here is a transcription by Walt Norris of
"Tithe book of Bolton with Goldthorpe, 1839."
giving the records of the collection of tithes in the township.
The data is transcribed from the original held by the Goldthorpe
library and contains the names of owners and occupiers of most
of the fields in the township.
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014