The Church at Allerton was originally united with Sandy Lane. In view of the rapid increase In the population of Allerton, it was decided, in 1869, to hold separate services nearer to the homes of many of the people, and also with a view to make suitable provision for the spiritual needs of a rapidly-growing population. The services were first held in a room belonging to the Co-operative Stores. In 1871, such progress had been made that it was decided to build, and on March 30th, 1872, the foundation stone of the present chapel was laid by Mr. Alfred Illingworth. It is to the credit of a gallant little band of workers that much of the labour was voluntary.
Mr. Albert White, long and honourably associated with the work at Allerton, has written, "There is scarcely a spot from the basement to the roof of the building that has not been consecrated by loving voluntary labour." In June, 1873, the Church was formed, fifty-three members being dismissed from Sandy Lane to form the new cause, the preachers at the opening services being, Revs. J. P. Chown, William Best, B.A., Hugh Stowell Brown, and Dr. John Clifford. In four years the membership had more than doubled. The Church has had four pastors, Revs. J. Bentley, A. T. Walker, E. A. Wintle, and Edgar Jackson, who settled in 1906 and has rendered the cause good service. Mr. Jackson has just resigned the pastorate in order to take charge at Enon Chapel, Burnley.