Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for BRADFORD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1829.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

BRADFORD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1829.

"BRADFORD, an extensive and populous town, in the parish of its name, wapentake of Morley, and in the liberty of the honour of Pontefract, in the west siding, is 192 miles from London, 35 from Manchester and York, 14 from Huddersfield, 10 from Leeds, and 8 from Halifax. This town lies in the very heart of the. manufacturing country, and is pleasantly situated at the junction of three beautiful and extensive sallies. Worsted stuffs form the staple manufacture of this town and neighbourhood; but broad and narrow cloths, wool cards and combs are also made here to a considerable extent, and the cotton trade is gradually rising to importance. The spinning of worsted yarn is a branch of much consequence to the town, and employs a great number of hands. Coal add iron are found in great abundance in the neighbourhood; and the Low Moor, and Bowling Iron Works, both in the immediate vicinity, are extensive, and enjoy a deserved reputation. In addition to its other advantages for trade, Bradford possesses the convenience of a navigable canal, which is cut from the Leeds and Liverpool canal, near Shipley, about three miles to the north, and penetrates into the ,centre of the town. The piece hall in this place is an excellent mart for stuff goods, and is divided into two apartments, the upper and lower chamber: this building serves occasionally as a court-house; and the general quarter sessions of the peace are held in it. The court of requests, for the recovery of debts under forty shillings, is held in a handsome building erected in Darley-street; besides which, another court for the honour of Pontefract, is held heir the first Wednesday in every month, wherein debts may he sued for under five pounds. Benjamin Rawson, Esq. is the present lord of the manor; and the town is governed by two constables, one for the east and the other for the west end of Bradford; these are elected annually at a vestry meeting, and put in nomination by the officers going out. The buildings appropriated for divine worship are the parish church of St. Peter, and a new. one, erected in 1814, by the commissioners appointed by parliament; it is dedicated to our Saviour, and the Rev. William Morgan is the incumbent. St. Peter's is a Gothic structure, of considerable antiquity, and was completed about the thirty-sixth year of the reign of Henry VI.; the benefice is a vicarage, in the gift of Richard Fawcett, Esqs. and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Heap. The Wesleyan independent and primitive Methodists, Baptists and Unitarians have each a chapel, and the society of friends a meeting-house. The free grammar school here was founded by Charles II. and by him liberally endowed; it is one of those schools having the privilege of sending candidates for Lady Hasting's exhibition at Queen's college, Oxford; the house of the head master is a very superior residence: here are besides, female friendly, and Sunday schools, and one of industry. There is also in the town an excellent dispensary and a savings' bank. For the accommodation of those, admirers of scenic representation a theatre was erected a few years since; the building is neat, and in size proportionate to the population. The market-day is on Thursday and the fairs are March 3rd and 4th, June 17th, 18th and 19th, and December 9th, 10th and 11th, all for cattle, &c. the December fair being also a large one for pigs. The parish of Bradford is very extensive, being fifteen miles in length and four in breadth, and comprehends thirteen townships, which, collectively, contained, in 1811, 36,358; and in 1821, 52,954 persons, 13,064 of the latter number being returned as inhabitants of Bradford township."


"HAWORTH, a populous manufacturing village, in the honour of Pontefract, Morley wapentake, and in the parish of Bradford, is four miles south of Keighley, containing, by the census of 1821, 4,668 inhabitants"
Note: The directory entry for Haworth in Pigot's 1829 Directory is included with Keighley.


"STANBURY, a hamlet, in the parish of Bradford, in the same wapentake as Haworth, is five miles from Keighley, and containing, by the last census, 733 inhabitants."
Note: The directory entry for Stanbury in Pigot's 1829 Directory is included with Keighley.

[Transcribed from Pigot's National Commericial Directory for 1828-29 ]
by Colin Hinson ©2007