Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: HORTON. Church dedication: CHAPEL.

Morley wapentake. -Population, 10,782, vide Bradford; Chapel-room, 500 *1; Net value, £99. -Consecrated 1st July 1809.

Patron, the Vicar of Bradford.

Valued, in 1818, at £44 per annum.

Augmented, in 1810, with £200; in 1812, with £1,000 from the Parliamentary grant ; in 1817, with £600, and, in 1821, with £200, both from the same grant-by lot.

No glebe house.

The Register Books for baptisms and burials commence in 1808.

Charities:
John Ashton's charity, by will, dated 4th August 1712. Rent of nine acres of land, and three houses, for the use of the aged and necessitous poor of the town of Horton.

Free Grammar School, founded by Christopher Scott, by will, dated 4th October, 13th Charles I. The schoolmaster to be of one of the Universities, and the children to be instructed in Greek and Latin. Endowed with 45a. of land, subject to a debt of £100. The master receives a salary of £60 per annum. The school is not now considered to be a classical one, and about 200 children attend it.

Abraham Kitchin's charity, by deed, dated 15th April 1644. Annuity of 10s. to the poor out of premises at Whinney Hill, in Oxenhope, now or lately belonging to Mr. James Feather.

David Midgley's charity, by will, dated 5th March 1723. A charge upon an estate at Withins of the expense of clothing ten poor boys and girls annually.

Stanbury School, established in 1805, by voluntary subscription. The master has a house and the interest of £600. About sixty free scholars are instructed in English, writing, and accounts. -Vide 17th Report, page 726.

Post town: Bradford.


References:
Not noticed by Torre. Loidis et Elmete, page 255.


Notes:
*1 In 1818, the Chapel- room was returned at 700.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.