GENUKI Home page    Bradford Parish Bradford
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in
the Parish of Bradford:


"ALLERTON, in the parish of Bradford, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles NW. of Bradford, 7 from Halifax. Pop. 1,488."


"ALLERTON LEE, a hamlet in the township of Allerton, and parish of Bradford; 3 miles NW. of Bradford, 6½ from Halifax."


"APPERLEY BRIDGE, a hamlet in the township of Eccleshill, and parish of Bradford, liberty of Wakefield; 4 miles N. of Bradford, 6 from Otley, 10½ from Leeds."


"BIERLEY, (North, South and West), in the parish of Bradford, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 2½ miles from Bradford, 8 from Halifax, 12½ from Wakefield. Pop. 6,070. Here is a Chapel, but not consecrated."


"BOWLING, in the parish of Bradford, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley; 1 mile S. of Bradford, 8 from Halifax. Pop. 3,579."


"BOWLING HALL, the seat of Thomas Mason, Esq., in the parish of Bradford, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley; 1 mile from Bradford, 8 from Halifax. Pop. 3,579.

Bowling Hall, originally Bolling, from a family of that name, the daughter and heiress of which married Sir Richard Tempest, of Bracewell, is an ancient and large majestic building, with a centre and two wings to the north. The south front opening to the garden, is terminated by two square towers of considerable but uncertain antiquity. The Earl of Newcastle, commander of the King's Forces, made this house is head quarters in 1643, when he besieged and took Bradford. The Hall and Manor, with the Chapel or Chantry Church, came to Mr. Mason in 1812. --Whitaker's Craven and Neale."


"BRADFORD MOOR, a hamlet in the township and parish of Bradford; 1½ miles from Bradford, 8½ from Leeds."


"BUTTERSHAW, a chapelry, in the parish of Bradford, wapentake of Morley, not far from Bradford. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £200, in the patron . of Charles Hardy, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. John.(from The National Gazetteer, 1868)"


"CHELLOW HEIGHTS, a hamlet in the township of Heaton, and parish of Bradford, 3 miles NW. of Bradford."


"CLAYTON, in the parish of Bradford, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 3½ miles W. of Bradford, 4½ from Halifax. Pop. 3,609."


"CLAYTON HEIGHTS, a hamlet in the township of Clayton, and parish of Bradford, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley; 3 miles SW. of Bradford and 4 from Halifax."


"CLOCK HOUSE, (the seat of Miss Jowetts,) in the township of Manningham, and parish of Bradford, 1½ mile from Bradford, 8 from Otley. [now used as the Junior Dept at Bradford Grammar School Arthur Kennedy 2008]"


"CROFT HOUSE, (the seat of Samuel Hailstone, Esq.) in the township of Great Horton, and parish of Bradford, from which it is distant ¼ of a mile."


"CROW TREES, (the seat of Joshua Pollard, Esq.) in the township and parish of Bradford, 1½ miles from Bradford."


"CUTLER HEIGHT, in the township of Bowling, and parish of Bradford, Morley division of Agbrigg and Morley; 1½ mile E. of Bradford, 9 from Halifax and Leeds."


"DENHOLME, in the parish of Bradford, and wapentake of Morley; 5 miles S. of Keighley."


"DENHOLME GATE, a hamlet in the township of Thornton; and parish of Bradford, 6 miles from Halifax and Keighley."


"DUDLEY HILL, a hamlet in the township of Bowling, and parish of Bradford, 2 miles SW. of Bradford."


"EASTBROOK HOUSE, (the seat of Charles Harris, Esq.) in the township and parish of Bradford, the park adjoins to Bradford."


"ECCLESHILL, in the parish of Bradford, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 2 miles N. of Bradford, 7 from Otley. Pop. 2,176."


"FAIRWEATHER GREEN, a hamlet in the township of Allerton, and parish of Bradford, 1½ miles NW. of Bradford, 7 from Halifax."


"FAR OXNOP, a single house in the township of Thornton, and parish of Bradford, 5 miles from Keighley, 8 from Halifax."


"FIELD HEAD, (the seat of H.W. Oates, Esq.) in the township of Great Horton, and parish of Bradford, 1 mile from Bradford."


"FRIZINGHALL, (or Frizingley) a hamlet in the township of Heaton, and parish of Bradford, (the seat of George Lister, Esq.) 2 miles from Bradford."


"GREAT HORTON, in the parish of Bradford, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; (Horton House, the seat of Mrs. Sharpe) 2 miles SW. of Bradford, 6½ from Halifax. Pop. 7,192. The Church is a perpetual curacy, in the deanry of Pontefract, value, ~£44. Patron, the Vicar of Bradford."


"GREENGATES, a hamlet in the township of Eccleshill, and parish of Bradford, 3 miles from Bradford, 7 from Otley."


"HALDWORTH, in the parish of Bradford, wapentake of Morley; 4 miles N. of Halifax."


"HALLOWS, a hamlet in the township of Wilsden, and parish of Bradford, 3¾ miles from Keighley, 4 from Bradford."


"HALLOWS HALL, in the parish of Bradford, wapentake of Morley; 3½ miles SE. of Keighley."


"HAWORTH, in the parish of Bradford, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles S. of Keighley, 7 from Bradford, 8 from Halifax, 9½, from Colne, (Lanc.) No Market. Fairs, July 22, for pedlary ware; and October 14, for horned cattle, pedlary ware, &c. Pop. 4668, Here is a Chapel of ease (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to St. Michael. Patron, the Vicar of Bradford."


"HEATON, in the parish of Bradford, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley; (Heaton Hall, the seat of John Wilmer Field, Esq.) 2 miles NW. of Bradford, 4½ from Bingley. Pop. 1,217."


"HEATON ROYDS, a hamlet in the township of Heaton, and parish of Bradford, 2½ miles from Bradford."


"KIPLING HOUSE, a single house in the township of Thornton, and parish of Bradford."


"KIPPING HOUSE, (the seat of Miss Firth) in the township of Thornton, and parish of Bradford, 4 miles from Bradford."


"LIDGET GREEN, a village in the chapelry of Horton and parish of Bradford, West Riding county York, 2 miles from Bradford. It is a populous village, chiefly inhabited by factory workers and weavers. (Nat. Gaz. 1868)."


"LINGBOB, a single house in the township of Wilsden, and parish of Bradford, 3 miles NW. of Bradford."


"LITTLE HORTON, in the township of Horton, and parish of Bradford, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; (the seat of Francis Sharp Bridges, Esq.) 1 mile S. of Bradford, 7 from Halifax.

Here, Abraham Sharpe, a philosopher and mechanist, and an excellent calculator resided, where his great variety of mechanical instruments had been hoarded up, with care, by his descendants, for years; but now, 1817, in danger, says Dr. Whitaker, of being lost, as well as his MSS. without being known to the public. He died in 1742, aged 92.

Whitaker's Loidis and Elmete says, on inserting the epitaph "of the Indefatigable mathematician, Mr. Abraham Sharpe; that Ludolph Van Ceulan, a Dutchman, computed the quadrature of the circle to 136 places of decimals, and had the process Inscribed upon his tomb. Our countryman far (but I forgot how far) surpassed him, yet has a much shorter epitaph. The long duration of his life proves that the pursuits of abstract science have no necessary tendency to exhaust the constitution."


"LODGE, (the residence of Matthew Thompson, Esq.) in the township of Manningham, and parish of Bradford, 1¼ miles from Bradford."


"LOW MOOR, in the township of North Bierley, and parish of Bradford, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 3 miles S. of Bradford, 5 from Halifax."


"MANN VILLA, (the seat of Mrs. Mann) in the township of Horton, and parish of Bradford, to which it adjoins."


"MANNINGHAM, in the parish of Bradford, Morley division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; (Manningham House, the seat of E.L. Lister, Esq.) 1½ N. of Bradford, 8½ from Halifax and Keighley. Pop. 2,471.

Here, in the reign of Edward III. John Northorp held, of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, three messuages, and six oxgangs of land, by the service of his attending upon the said Duke, or his bailiff, with a lance and a hunting dog, for the space of thirty days, when they should pass by Bradford in their way to Pontefract castle, having yeoman's board, one penny per day for himself, and a half penny for his dog."


"MANYWELLS HEIGHT, a hamlet in the township of Wilsden and parish of Bradford, 4 miles S. of Keighley and 4 from Bingley."


"MIRYSHAW, a farm-house in the township and parish of Bradford, to which it nearly adjoins.

This house was for many generations, the paternal residence of the Smyths, now divided into two branches, and represented by John Henry Smyth, Esq. M.P. for Cambridge, and John Smyth, Esq. of Bramham, (1816.) It is now occupied as a farm house, a view of which, as a vignette, is given in Whitaker's Loidis and Elmete."


"NEAR OXNOP, a single house in the township of Thornton, and parish of Bradford, 5 miles S. of Keighley, 8 from Halifax."


"ROYDS HALL, (the seat of C. Dawson, Esq.) in the township of North Bierley, and parish of Bradford, 4 miles from Bradford."


"SALTAIRE, a hamlet in the parish of Bradford, 5 miles north west of Bradford. Saltaire is a suburb built in the mid to late 1800's by Sir Titus Salt, (who had the mill built) and was a Christian philanthropist as well as a successful businessman. His (then and now) radical ideas included making provision for the needs of his workers in the shape of the village of Saltaire, built to accommodate the work force of his cloth-making mill. Saltaire village is well worth a visit if you're passing, even if social history is not your thing. This is a housing estate quite unlike anything else you're going to see (except for the historically and architecturally similar village of Bourneville in Birmingham). Beautifully laid out homes and recreation area on the River Aire. (Summary of various sources - Colin Hinson 1999)."


"SCAR HILL, (the seat of William Pollard, Esq.) in the township and parish of Bradford, 1 mile from Bradford."


"SCHOLEMOOR, a hamlet in the township of Horton, and parish of Bradford, 2 miles from Bradford, 6 from Halifax."


"SHIPLEY, in the parish of Bradford, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; (the seat of Mrs. Wainman) 3 miles N. of Bradford and Bingley. Pop. 1,606."


"STANBURY, in the township of Haworth, and parish of Bradford, 5 miles SW. of Keighley, 8½ from Bradford."


"THORNBURY, probably in the parish of Bradford, or at least the area covered by that parish before 1832. This place seems to have come into being sometime after 1860. It now has a well-known very large round-about. (added May 2000, -CH)"


"THORNTON, in the parish of Bradford, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles W. of Bradford, 5 from Halifax. Pop. 4,110. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. James, value, p.r. !£140. 0s. 0d. Patron, the Vicar of Bradford."


"TOWN HILL, (the seat of F. Duffield, Esq.) in the township and parish of Bradford."


"UNDERCLIFFE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Bradford, (Undercliffe Hall, the seat of J. Hustler, Esq.) 1 mile N. of Bradford."


"WEST SCHOLES, a hamlet in the township of Clayton, and parish of Bradford, 3¼ miles W. of Bradford, 5¼ from Halifax."


"WESTBROOK HOUSE, (the seat of Richard Fawcett, Esq.) in the township of Great Horton, and parish of Bradford, 2 miles from Bradford."


"WHITLEY HOUSE, (the seat of Mrs. Hollings) in the township of Manningham, and parish of Bradford, 1 mile from Bradford."


"WIBSEY, in the township of North Bierley, and parish of Bradford, Morley division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 3 miles S. of Bradford, 5 from Halifax. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, in the deanry of Pontefract, value, £104. Patron, the Vicar of Bradford."


"WILSDEN, in the parish of Bradford, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 5 miles NW. of Bradford and 5 from Keighley, 8 from Halifax. Pop. 1,711."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016