"BRAITHWELL, a parish in the southern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH and TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Braithwell and Bramley, and containing 739 inhabitants, of whieh number, 438 are in the township of Braithwell, 7 miles S.S.W. from Doncaster. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £7. 7- 6., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. James. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The school owes its foundation to Mr. John Bosvile: in 1818, the Rev. Thomas Bosvile gave £250 for the instruction of ten children: the income is £10. 10. per annum, and there are fourteen children on the foundation. Twenty-two human skeletons, supposed to be those of Roman soldiers who fell in battle with the Brigantes, and an urn, that probably contained the ashes of a Roman general, were discovered some years ago, in a field here, in which a variety of Roman coins has also been found at different periods."
"BRAMLEY, a township in the parish of BRAITHWELL, southern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH and TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles E. from Rotherham, containing 301 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."