"BRAITHWELL, a parish in the south division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 7 miles to the S.W. of Doncaster. Rotherham is its post town. It includes the township of Bramley. The living is a vice in the diocese of York, of the value of £330, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. James, and contains two very ancient monuments; one of large size to the founder of the church, and the other to Thomas Sheffield, of this parish, who died in 1406. Remains of an old cross, with an inscription in French, exist in the village. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel here. There is a free school, endowed by Thomas Bosville in 1818, which has an income of £14 per annum. The other charitable endowments of the parish are worth £10 a year. Roman antiquities have been found in the neighbourhood."
"BRAMLEY, a township in the parish of Braithwell, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the E. of Rotherham. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. Bramley Grange, a pleasant residence, was formerly connected with the abbey of Roche."
"MICKLEBRING, a hamlet in the parish of Braithwell, wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Rotherham, and 5 W. of Tickhill."