Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: BRAMHAM.     Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Peculiar. -Area, 5.260 acres. Barkston Ash wapentake, U. D. -Population, 2,403 *2; Church-room, 500 *3 ; Net value, £159. -The Church was appropriated to the Priory of Nostell, to which it was given by Robert Fossard, and made a Prebend in York Cathedral; and the Priors of Nostell were successively Prebendaries of Bramham and Rectors of the Church, and had jurisdiction of the whole town. The Prebend was dissolved in 1540, and a Vicarage ordained, but when does not appear. Torre refers to the Usher Rolls, and Ducarel is silent.

At the Dissolution, the patronage and impropriation were granted to the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford, who are still the patrons and impropriators.

Not named in Pope Nicholas's Taxation. Value in the King's books, £6. 7s. 4d.

In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii., page 242, the Impropriation is valued at £100, and the Vicarage at £24. Augmented, in 1770, with £200, to meet a benefaction of £200 from the Dean and Canons of Christ Church ; in 1793, with £200, to meet a benefaction of £200 from Dr. William Strafford's trustees ; and in 1814, with £600 by lot from the Parliamentary grant.

There was an Inclosure Act passed in the 43rd Geo. III. as to the township of Clifford, and another in the 47th Geo. III. as to the township of Bramham.

Mr. Torre gives a catalogue of the Vicars.

7th April 1781, faculty to erect a gallery.

23rd July 1802, faculty to re-pew the Church, and erect new galleries.

The glebe house is unfit for residence. On Bramham Moor are large remains of a Roman road.

The Earl of Northumberland, who had raised a rebellion against King Henry IV., was defeated and slain on Bramham Moor, in February 1408.

The Register books commence in 1586.

Charities:
School Land. -16 acres of land, purchased with money left for certain Charities, the rent (after deducting £2. 12s. weekly for six poor persons and £4. 8s. to the poor, agreeably to the said benefactions) is paid to a schoolmaster for teaching six poor children. The house and school were given by Benjamin Eamonson, Esq., in exchange for the old ones.

Ann Laking's dole, given in 1715. £1 per annum.

Samuel Troutbeck's dole. Interest of £30. 8s. 6d. Lost, except £16.

George Whitehead's dole. Interest of £30. Lost.

Eleanor Powell's gift. 12s. per annum for teaching one poor child.

Christopher Powell's gift. 18s. per annum to the poor.

John Wildman's gift. Interest of £5. 5s.

Dawson's charity. Vide General Charities. -Vide 15th Report, page 633.

Post town: Tadcaster.


References:
Vid. Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 892. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 292. Wood's MS. (Bodleian), No. 5,105. Burton's Monasticon, page 302. Hargrove's Knaresborough, page 303. Nonae Roll, page 229.


Notes:
*1 The township of Bramham extends into the liberty of St. Peter of York.

*2. Viz. Bramham, 1,237; Clifford, 1,166. In 1834, the Population of the parish, exclusive of Boston, was returned at 978.

*3 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 700.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.