Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for BRAYTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

BRAYTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"BRAYTON, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Barlow, and the townships of Brayton, Burn, Gateforth, Hambleton, and Thorpe-Willoughby, and containing 1489 inhabitants, of which number, 252 are in the township of Brayton, if miles S.W. from Selby, The living is a discharged vicarage, within the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Selby, rated in the king's books at £7. 14. 4., and in the patronage of the Hon. E, Petre. The church, dedicated to St. Wilfrid, exhibits various styles of architecture; the tower is Norman, surmounted by an octagonal lantern, from which rises a lofty spire, in the later English style; the south doorway, and the arch leading into the chancel, are Norman, highly enriched; the chancel is in the decorated, and the nave in the later, English style. Part of the parish is skirted by the river Ouse, and a canal, connecting that river with the Aire, passes through the centre of it. A rent-charge of £5 was given by the Rev. Thomas Morritt, towards the support of a school."


"BARLOW, a chapelry in the parish of BRAYTON, lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.E. from Selby, containing 175 inhabitants."


"BURN, a township in the parish of BRAYTON, lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.W. from Selby, containing 238 inhabitants. There is a small endowment for the instruction of children, given by George Ellis in 1711, and Edward Goodwin in 1743."


"GATEFORTH, a township in the parish of BRAYTON, lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONEASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W.S.W. from Selby, containing 192 inhabitants."


"HAMBLETON, a township in the parish of BRAYTON, lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONEASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles W.S.W. from Selby, containing 488 inhabitants. A school-room, with a house for the master, was erected by subscription in 1796, when an allotment of land, under the enclosure act, was assigned for its support."


"THORPE WILLOUGHBY, a township in the parish of BRAYTON, lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles W.S.W. from Selby, containing 144 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]