Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for BRAYTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

BRAYTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"BRAYTON, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of Barkstone Ash, in the West Riding of the county of York, 1 mile to the S.W. of Selby, its post town. It is situated on the banks of the river Ouse, and is crossed by the branch canal connecting the Ouse with the Aire, forming part of the Aire and Calder navigation. The Hull, Selby, and Milford Junction railway passes by this place. The parish includes the chapelries of Barlow and Gateforth, and the townships of Brayton, Burn, Hambleton, and Thorpe-Willoughby. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, of the value of £268, in the patronage of Lord Londesborough. The church is dedicated to St. Wilfrid. It is partly in the Norman style, but exhibits various other styles of architecture. The tower at the west end is Norman, and is surmounted by a fine spire in the perpendicular style. In addition to the parish church, there are two chapels of ease-one at Barlow, and the other at Gateforth. The parochial charities, including a small bequest for a school, amount to about £40 per annum. Near the village is a lofty hill called Brayton Barf. Lord Londesborough, and the family of Brooke, of Gateforth House, late Osbaldeston, are the principal landed proprietors."


"BARLOW, a township in the parish of Brayton, lower division of the wapentake of Barkstone Ash, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles from Selby, its post town. The living is a donative curacy in the diocese of York, value £30, in the gift of G. H. Thompson, Esq."


"BURN, a township in the parish of Brayton, wapentake of Barkstone Ash, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the S.W. of Selby. It is on the Selby canal, connecting the Aire and Calder navigation with the river Ouse."


"GATEFORTH, a township and chapelry in the parish of Brayton, lower division of the wapentake of Barkstone Ash, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Selby, its post town. A church was erected here in 1825, the living of which is a curacy in the diocese of York, value £105. There is a day school for the children of the township. Gateforth Common is a meet for the Bramham Moor hunt. Gateforth Hall is the principal residence."


"HAMBLETON, a township in the parish of Brayton, lower division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Selby. It is a station on the Hull and Milford Junction branch of the North-Eastern railway. The surface is undulating, and the soil sandy but fertile. In this township is a hill called Hambleton Hough. The village is considerable. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments under an Enclosure Act in 1796. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a school with a small endowment arising from land."


"THORPE WILLOUGHBY, a township in the parish of Brayton, lower division of Barkstone-Ash wapentake, West Riding county York, 2 miles S.W. of Selby. It is on the road to Leeds."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013