Area, 10,690 acres. Barkston Ash wapentake, L. D. -Population, 1,612 *1; Church-room, 400 *2 ; Net value, £268. -In Brayton were three caracutes of land, which were held of Miles Hasselton and of the Abbot of Selby by Hugh de Marr, which paid 12d. to the Sheriff of Yorkshire.
Drax Abbey had four acres of land in Brayton. Nun Appleton Priory had also two oxgangs of land here.
Selby Monastery had large possessions here.
The Church of Brayton was given to the Abbey of Selby, but in 1293 it was appropriated to the Archdeaconry of York, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 27th May 1348.
The patronage, after the Dissolution, was in the Walmsleys, and afterwards in the Starkies. The present patron and impropriator is the Hon. Edward R. Petre.
The Church of Brayton is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £33. 6s. 8d. The Vicarage is valued in the King's books at £7. 14s. 7d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 250, at £20 per annum. Synodals and Procurations, 8s. 5d.
Burton gives the substance of the endowment.
See Torre's MS. for an assignment of a portion of the tithes to the Prebendary of Wistow in 1220.
A mortgage, under Gilbert's Act, of £251. 15s. 6d., will cease in 1853.
There was an Act passed in the 36th Geo. III. to inclose the township of Hambleton, and another 39th Geo. III. for inclosing Brayton.
Torre and Wood give the inscriptions and monuments.
There is a glebe house fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1615. There is a chasm from 1643 to 1653. See transcripts in the Registry of the Peculiar of Selby.
Poor's Estate. 28 acres of land.
Mary Pockley's gift. Interest of £150 for gowns for poor widows. Lost.
Morritt's rent-charge. £5 per annum for a school. Lost.
Lady Cholmley's gift. £2 per annum rent-charge to the poor (query). Lost.
Burn Dole. 14s. per annum. Rentcharge to the poor of Burn.
Goodwin's charity, (vide 17th Report, page 625,) £5 per annum, and Ellis's charity, (vide 18th Report, page 800,) £2 per annum. Paid to a school dame for teaching 16 poor children to read.
Elizabeth Ashton's charity, by will, dated 8th June 1709. Rent-charge of £3 per annum for apprenticing poor children.
Hamilton's Poor's Land. 9a. 0r. 30p. given by John Colton, in 1717, for poor housekeepers and widows.
Richardson's gift. Interest of £100 to the poor of Hambleton.
Hamilton School. Rent of 5a. 1r. 7p. of land. Seven free scholars in reading and writing. -Vide 21st Report, page 597.
Post town: Selby.
Nonae Roll, page 227. Torre's MS. (West Riding), page 7. Wood's MS. (Bodleian), No. 5,101. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 299. Burton's Monasticon, pages 102. 277. 390, 391, 392. Mon. Ang. vol. iii. pages 487. 512.
*1 viz.: Barlow, 225 ; Brayton, 278 ; Burn, 244 ; Gateforth, 223 ; Hambleton, 494 ; and Thorp Willoughby, 148. In 1834, the Population was returned at 1,617.
*2 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 550.