"BRODSWORTH, a parish in the northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH and TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W.N.W. from Doncaster, comprising the townships of Brodsworth with Pickburn, and Scansby, and containing 417 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Archbishop of York, rated in the king's books at £6. 6. lOf. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. Here are quarries producing a superior kind of limestone. A free school was founded, in 1696, by D'Arcy Wentworth, for ten children, for whose gratuitous instruction.the sum,of £10 is annually paid out of the Brodsworth estate. This estate belonged to the late Peter Thellusson, Esq., and is now vested in trustees, according to the singular will of that gentleman, who directed that the greater part of his immense property should be allowed to accumulate, and, at a future fixed period, in default of a male heir, be applied towards discharging the national debt. The late Mrs. Thellusson assigned an annual income of £4. 4., for which six girls are instructed by a schoolmistress."
"PICKBURN, a township, joint with Brodsworth, in the parish of BRODSWORTH, northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-and-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.W. from Doncaster. The population is returned with Brodsworth."