Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for BROTHERTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

BROTHERTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"BROTHERTON, a parish comprising the township of Brotherton in the liberty of St-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, and the townships of Byrome with Pool, and Sutton, partly in the same liberty, but chiefly in the lower division of thewapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding, of the county of YORK, and containing 1626 inhabitants, of which number, 1491 are in the township of Brotherton, laf of a mile N.N.W. from Ferry-Bridge. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Dean and Chapter of York, rated in the king's books at £5. 6.. 8. The church is dedicated to St. Edward the Confessor. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. This parish is bounded btt the south and west by the river Aire, and contains limestone of a fine' quality, there being various kilns for burning it. In June 1300,, Margaret, the second wife of Edward I., having been taken in labour whilst hunting in the neighbourhood, was delivered of a son at the village, to whom the name Thomas de Brotherton was given; he was created Earl of Norfolk and Earl Marshal of England, and from him, in the female line, descended the Mowbrays, Dukes of Norfolk: the house in which this event occurred is stated by tradition to have stood on part of a plot of land of about twentyacres, not far from the church, which the tenants areobliged, by the tenure of their land, to keep surrounded by a stone wall. There is an endowment of A 5>% a year for the instruction of children, arising from a bequest of £100 by Mr. Wilson, in 1731."


"BYROME, a township, joint with Pool, in the parish of BROTHERTON, partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, but chiefly in the lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding, of the county of YORK, if mile N.N.W. from Ferry-Bridge. The population is returned with Pool."


"POOL, a township, joint with Byrome, in the parish of BROTHERTON, partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, and partly in the lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding, of the county of YORK, 1 mile N.N.E. from Ferry- Bridge, containing 61 inhabitants."


"SUTTON, a township in the parish of BROTHERTON, partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, and partly in the lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding, of the county of YORK, 1 mile E.N.E. from Ferry-Bridge, containing 74 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]