"BROUGHTON, is a small village, in the parish of its name, in the township of Broughton-with-Elsack, and in the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, West Riding, 3 miles west from Skipton. Here is Broughton hall, the ancient and noble seat of the Tempest family. The church (which contains several monuments to the members of the family before named), is dedicated to All Saints : the living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the dean and canons of Christ church, Oxford, and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Hay. There is a private catholic chapel attached to Broughton hall, of which the Rev. Michael Trappes is the priest. The township contained, at the last census, 407 inhabitants.
Please see Skipton Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this parish."