"BROUGHTON, a township in the parish of its name, in the eastern division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the W. of Skipton. It is situated near the river Aire, and contains the hamlet of Elslack. A Roman station or camp is said to have existed here, the supposed vestiges of which are found at Elslack. Some of the villagers are employed in the cotton manufacture. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, of the value of £190, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The church is dedicated to All Saints. It stands a mile from the village, and has a Norman doorway and cylindrical font. Attached to it is a chapel of the Tempest family, with many monuments. Broughton Hall, the seat of the Tempests, who hold the manor, was erected at the close of the 16th century. It contains many family portraits, among which are those of Stephen Tempest, author of "Religio Laici," and Francis Tempest, Abbot of Lambspring, a monastery in Westphalia."
"ELSLACK, a hamlet in the parish of Broughton, E. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Skipton, its post town. It is situated on the river Aire, and contains the parish church. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon, value £190, in the patronage of Christ Church College, Oxford. The church is an ancient stone edifice. The register commences in 1674."