Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: BURGHWALLIS.     Church dedication: ST. HELEN.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area. 1,700 acres. Osgoldcross wapentake, U.D. -Population, 223 *1; Church-room, 85 *2; Net value, £275.

This Church is an ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Wallises, and, from them to the Gascoignes of Gowlthorpe, and afterwards to the Annes, and since to the Wyatts.

Patron, Michael Tasburgh, Esq.

Valued, in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £12, and in the King's books at £14. 6s. 10d. per annum, after deducting for Synodals 5s. 6d., and Procurations 4s.

In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 381, it is stated : " Rectory, £60 per annum. The inhabitants of Skelley, in the parish of Anston, every Christmas day have used to repair to the parish Church of Burghwallis, and so for that day only are holden to be of that parish. We think fit that that custom be broken, and no longer continued, and that Skelleye be always of Anston parish, no day excepted."

Mr. Hunter gives a list of the Rectors, and the arms, monuments, &c.

An Act was passed 53rd Geo. III. for effecting a drainage.

In 1818 the glebe house was unfit for residence, being too small and ruinous, but it has been rebuilt under Gilbert's Act.

The Register books commence in 1597. Some chasms.

Charities:
Poor's Land. 2a. 1r., purchased in 1678 with £10 bequeathed by William Huscroft for the use of the poor.

Poor's Money. 5s. per annum, as interest of £5, in the hands of M. Tasburgh, Esq., and distributed with the rent of the above-mentioned land. Vide 17th Report, page 735.

Post town: Doncaster.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1,001. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 210. Non Roll, page 222. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 483.


Notes:
*1 The return of Burghwallis parish includes Haywood and Sutton.

*2 In 1818, it was returned that there was accommodation for between 150 to 200.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.