Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for BURNSALL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

BURNSALL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"BURNSALL, a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelries of Coniston with Kilnsay, and Rilsdon, and the townships of Appletreewick, Burnsall with Thorp sub Montem, Craco, Harlington, and Hetton with Bordley, and containing 1423 inhabitants, of which number, 329 are in the township of Burnsall with Thorp sub Montem, 9g miles N.N.E. from Skipton. The living is a rectory in medieties, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, tated in the king's books at £36, and in the patronage of the Earl of Craven and the Archbishop of York. The church is dedicated to St. Wilfrid: at the entrance to the choir each portionist has a pulpit and a reading desk, from which divine service is performed alternately. This parish is supposed to have been formerly a member of the parish of Linton, the rector of which still receives a modus from the greater part of it, for the tithe of corn. A grammar school was built in 1605, by Sir William Craven, Knt., who also repaired the church in 1612, erected four bridges in the vicinity, and performed various -acts of charity: the income of the school is £42 per annum, arising from a rent-charge of £20. given by the founder, £200 by Dame Elizabeth Craven, in 1624, and an annuity of £10 to an usher by a subsequent benefactor: only four or five boys are taught Latin; the rest, on an average about thirty, pay for commercial instruction. Sir William was a native of Appletreewick, in. this parish, and by industry and frugality amassed considerable property in London, of which city he was lord mayor in 1611."


"APPLETREEWICK, a township in the parish of BURNSALL, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.N.E. from Skipton, containing 312 inhabitants."


"CONISTON, a chapelry in the parish of BURNSALL, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, llf miles E.N.E. from Settle, containing, with the hamlet of Kilnsay, 137 inhabitants."


"CRACO, a township in the parish of BURNSALL, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N. from Skipton, containing 179 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"HARTLINGTON, a township in the parish of BURNSALL, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 10 miles N.N.E. from Skipton, containing 141 inhabitants."


"HETTON, a township, joint with Bordley, in the parish of BURNSALL, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-AND-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 65 miles N.N.W. from Skipton, containing 180 inhabitants."


"KILNSAY, a hamlet in the parish of BURNSALL, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 11 miles E.N.E. from Settle. The population is returned with the chapelry of Coniston."


"RILSDON, a chapelry in the parish of BURNSALL, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.W. from Skipton, containing 145 inhabitants."


"THORP SUB MONTEM, a township, joint with Burnsall, in the parish of BURNSALL, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles N.E. from Skipton, containing 329 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]