Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for BURNSALL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

BURNSALL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"BURNSALL, a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of Staincliff and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 8 miles to the N.E. of Skipton, its post town. It is situated in the romantic valley of the Wharfe, and comprises no less than 31,331 acres. It contains the chapelries of Coniston-with-Kilnsay and Rylstone, and ten townships It is said to have been formerly part of the parish of Linton. There is a bridge over the Wharfe. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon, with the perpetual curacies of Coniston and Rilston annexed. It is in two portions, of which the first, value £315, is in the patronage of the trustees of the late Rev. J. Graham, and the second, value £276, in the patronage of the Earl of Craven. The church, dedicated to St. Wilfrid, was repaired by Sir William Craven in 1612, and contains a pulpit and desk for each portionist. Here is a grammar school, founded by Sir William, and endowed by him and other persons. The founder was born at Appletreewick, and became Lord Mayor of London in 1611. Burnsall bridge and three others in the neighbourhood were rebuilt by him."


"APPLETREEWICK, a township in the parish of Burnsall, eastern division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the N.E. of Skipton. It is situated on the rocky banks of the "crystal Wharfe," not far from Barden Fell, and contains the hamlets of Skireholme and Greenhowhill. This village was the birthplace of Sir William Craven, who became lord mayor of London in 1612. He established and endowed a grammar school here. The privilege of holding an annual fair at Appletree-Wick was granted by Edward II. to the canons of Bolton. The fair, for the sale of horses and cattle, takes place on the 26th October."


"BOARDLEY, a township united with Hetton, in the parish of Burnsall, wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 7 miles to the E. of Settle."


"CONISTON WITH KILNSAY, a township and chapelry in the parish of Burnsall, eastern division of the wapentake of Staincliff, in the West Riding of the county of York, 10 miles N. of Skipton. It is situated on the river Wharfe, and is connected by a bridge with Kilnsay. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Burnsall. The chapel of ease is dedicated to St. Mary. It contains a register, the earliest date of which is 1571. The annual value of the charities is £5."


"CRACOE, a township in the parish of Burnsall, E. division of the wapentake of, Staincliff, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles N. of Skipton."


"HARTLINGTON, a township in the parish of Burnsall, lower division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 8 miles N.E. of Skipton. It is situated near the river Wharfe, on the eastern side of Wharfdale."


"HETTON WITH BOARDLEY, a township in the parish of Burnsall, E. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Skipton. It is situated on the river Aire. The lands are principally rich pasture."


"KILNSAY, a hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Burnsall, wapentake of Staincliffe, West Riding county York, 9 miles N. of Skipton, and 11 N.E. of Settle. It is situated on the river Wharfe, and commands a fine view from Kilnsay Crag."


"RILSTON, (or Rylstone), a township and chapelry in the parish of Burnsall, E. division of Staincliff wapentake, West Riding county York, 4½ miles N. of Skipton, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The soil is rich, and the lands principally meadow and pasture. The living is a curacy annexed to that of Burnsall, in the diocese of Ripon. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, was formerly the private chapel of the Norton family, of Norton Tower. The register dates from 1559. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum."


"SKIREHOLME, a hamlet in the township of Applewick and parish of Burnsall, West Riding county York, 7 miles N.E. of Skipton, near the river Wharfe, under Bardon Fell."


"THORPE SUB MONTEM, a hamlet in the parish of Burnsall, E. division of Staincliff wapentake, West Riding county York, 7 miles N.E. of Skipton. It is situated near the river Wharfe, in a glen under Thornton Scar. In the glen is a cavern called Knave Knoll Hole."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013