Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: BURNSALL.     Church dedication: SAINT WILFRED.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 25,950 acres. Staincliffe wapentake, E. D. -Population, 1,385 *1; Church-room, 550; Net value (first mediety), £315; Net value (second mediety), £276. A Rectory in charge, of two medieties, whereof the one anciently belonged to the patronage of the Lords Fitz Hugh, and the other was of the patronage of the Hebdens, Knights, and others. The one is now in the patronage of the Earl Craven, and the other of the Rev. John Graham.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's first taxation, at £13. 6s. 8d. each mediety, viz., Richard's part and John's part. This is the only Church in the Deanery of Craven where no alteration was made in the second taxation. In the King's books, the Rectory is valued at £36, viz., £18 each mediety. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 202, it is stated : " Two medieties, worth together about £160 per annum ; yet some of the parish claim exemption from payment of tithes of the Cistertian order. We find that there are three Chapels in the said parish, but no certain maintenance belongeth to any of them. The Chapels are these -Rilston, Coniston, and Bradley ; which, in regard they are far distant from any Church, and one from another the nearest not being within three miles, and the way being bad), and the congregation belonging to each Chapel being sufficient for a parochial assembly, we conceive it fit that the said three Chapels be all made parish Churches, and endowed with a competency for a minister's maintenance;" and in 1818, Burnsall was certified to be worth £63 per annum, without distinction of medieties.

In Archbishop Dawes's Registry is a concord, dated 14th June 1708, relative to the Chapels of Rilston and Coniston.

The Notitia Parochialis, No. 253, contains the following notice of the parish :-" There are two medieties, each worth about £70 per annum or upwards. Part of the Rectory is impropriate as the town of Rilston, the tithe corn whereof is received now in kind by the tenants of the Honble. Henry Boyle, and the same has so continued since the time of Queen Elizabeth in the hands of the Earls of Cumberland, whose grant they show for the enjoyment of that tythe, they paying yearly to the Rectory £3. 6s. 8d.; but we can give no account how that part of the Rectory was dismembered, it being an entire lordship, not given to any religious house, and formerly in the hands of the Nortons, who, as tradition informs us, at the time of the northern rebellion in Queen Elizabeth's days, were seized of the tithes by way of lease, and, as it is also supposed, had then been some time, by the connivance of a son of that family, which, upon his rebellion, were, with several other lordships, conferred upon George, Earl of Cumberland, for services then done."

Dr. Whitaker gives a list of the Rectors. See also Torre's MS.

Inclosure Acts were passed 11 th Geo. III. (Hetton) ; 27th Geo. III. (Cracoe) ; 28th Geo. III. (Grassington); 29th Geo. III. (Thorpe); 45th Geo. III. (Burnsall); and 55th Geo. III. (Appletreewick.)

The glebe house for the first mediety is unfit for residence. There is one for the second, which is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1560.

Charities:
Grammar School, founded by Sir William Craven, Knight, by deed, dated 21st May 1605, and augmented by his will, dated August 1616, and also by the will of Lady Craven, dated 16th June 1624. There are thirteen trustees, viz., Earl Craven, the Rectors of the two medieties of Burnsall, the Rector of Slaidburn, William Dawson, Esq., and eight inhabitants of Burnsall. The master is usually in holy orders. The school is considered as free for the instruction of boys whose parents are inhabitants of the parish both in the English and Latin languages. Eightpence a week is charged to each scholar for instruction in writing by the usher, and 1s. for arithmetic. The income consists of £22 per annum rents-charge, and the interest of £89; also £20 per annum for school, and £10 per annum for repairs of the Church. £2 deducted from the latter for land-tax, paid by the Merchant Tailors' Company.

TOWNSHIPS OF APPLETREEWICK AND BURNSALL.

Poor's Land. The said Lady Craven, by her will, bequeathed £100, and John, Lord Craven, by his will, dated 28th May 1647, bequeathed £40, to be distributed among the poor. £45, part of the above, was laid out in the purchase of some open field land, and the remaining £30 is placed out at interest; and the rent of the land and the interest of the money are distributed by the minister and churchwardens on St. Thomas's day amongst poor persons of Appletreewick and Burnsall.

TOWNSHIP OP HARTLINGTON.

S. Pawson's rent-charge, by will, dated 28th March 1733. £4 to the poor. -Vide 13th Report, page 621.

Post town: Skipton.


References:
Torre's MS., page 515. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol i. page 125. Whitaker's Craven, page 428.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Appletreewick,' 425; Burnsall with Thorpe-sub-Montem, 242; Coniston with Kilnsea, 162; Craco, 150; Hartington, 115 ; Het. ton with Bordley, 176; and Rilston, 115.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.