"CALVERLEY, a parish in the wapentake of MORLEY, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelries of Idle and Pudsey, and the townships of Bolton, and Calverley with Farsley, and containing 14,134 inhabitants, of which number, 2605 are in the township of Calverley with Farsley, 4½ miles N.E. from Bradford. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £9. 11. 10., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Wilfrid. There is a small endowment for the instruction of children. At Apperley Bridge, in a most delightful part of Airedale, is a noble mansion, appropriated as a school, on the principle of that at Kingswood in Gloucestershire, for the education of the sons of Methodist ministers; it was established, in 1812, under the superintendence of the Rev. Miles Martindale, and the number is limited to seventy-two. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the woollen trade. This place is memorable as the scene of a most inhuman murder, committed in 1605, by Walter Calverley, on his two infant sons, William and Walter, aggravated by his attempt to assassinate his wife also, for which he was executed, by being pressed to death, having on his trial refused to plead; this barbarous outrage was made the subject of the " Yorkshire Tragedy," erroneously ascribed to Shakspeare."
"BOLTON, a township in the parish of CALVERLEY, wapentake of MORLEY, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles N.N.E. from Bradford, containing 634 inhabitants. The woollen manufacture prevails to a great extent in the vicinity."
"FARSLEY, a township in the parish of CALVERLEY, wapentake of MORLEY, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles E.N.E. from Bradford, containing, with the township of Calverley, 2605 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Baptists."
"FULNECK, a hamlet in the parish of CALVERLEY, wapentake of MORLEY, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.W. from Leeds. The Moravians have qne of their principal establishments here; it was commenced about 1748, and now forms a considerable village, wherein various trades are carried on, which supply the community with most of their articles of consumption; the buildings, which occupy an extensive terrace, comprise a hall containing a chapel, the minister's dwelling, separate school-houses for boys and girls, a house for single men, another for single women, a third for widows, and several others for those who haVe families."
"IDLE, a chapelry in the parish of CALVERLEY, wapentake of MORLEY, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.N.E. from Bradford, containing 4666 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with £250 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Calverley. A chapel is in progress of erection, according to the provisions of the act of parliament for building additional churches. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyan Methodists. An academy for the education of students preparing for the ministry, in connexion with the Independents, was founded here in 1800, and subsequently endowed with £150 per annum, by Edward Hanson, Esq., of Clap: ton in Middlesex, a native of this county; it is additionally supported by voluntary contributions."
"PUDSEY, a chapelry in the parish of CALVERLEY, wapentake of MORLEY, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles E. from Bradford, containing 6229 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the manorial court of Crossley, Bingley, and Pudsey, endowed with £ 200 private benefaction, and £'200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Calverley. The chapel is dedicated to St. Lawrence. A new church, in the later style of English architecture, was erected in 1823, under the sanction of " His Majesty's Commissioners for building churches j" the amount of contract, including incidental expenses, was £13,362. 1. 10. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists. The manufacture of woollen cloth is here carried on to a considerable extent. Jacob Simpson, in 1737., bequeathed £100 for the relief of decayed housekeepers, and for teaching poor children."