Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for CALVERLEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

CALVERLEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"CALVERLEY, a parish in the wapentake of Morley, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the N.W. of Leeds, its post town. It is situated near the river Aire and the Liverpool canal, and is a station on the Leeds, Bradford, and Skipton branch of the Midland railway. The parish, which extends over an area of about 9,000 acres, includes the populous districts of Farnley, Idle, and Pudsey, and the township of Bolton, comprising together a population of near 30,000. The inhabitants are employed in the woollen and worsted manufactures, which are carried on extensively in this part of the country. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £230, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Wilfrid, and contains monuments of the Calverley family and others. There are charitable endowments for the poor, amounting to £54 per annum. At Apperley Bridge, a village partly in the township of Calverley, is a large school, founded in 1812 for the sons of Wesleyan ministers. Calverley Hall, an old mansion of the time of Henry VI., was the scene, in 1604, of a double murder by Walter Calverley, which was the subject of the old play called the "Yorkshire Tragedy." The chapelries of Farsley, Idle, and Pudsey now form district parishes with their separate ecclesiastical establishments and schools."


"BAGLEY, a hamlet in the township and parish of Calverley, wapentake of Morley, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N.E. of Bradford."


"BOLTON, a township in the parish of Calverley, wapentake of Morley, in the West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the N. of Bradford. Hodgson Fold, Low Fold, and Out Lane, are hamlets included in this township The principal employment of the people is the woollen manufacture."


"BUCKMILL, a hamlet in the chapelry of Idle, and parish of Calverley, in the wapentake of Morley, West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N.E. of Bradford."


"CALVERLEY WITH FARSLEY, a township in the parish of Calverley, wapentake of Morley, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the N.E. of Bradford. It is situated in Airedale, near the Midland railway, and contains the village of Calverley Moor and the hamlets of Bagley, Rodley, Woodhall Hill, and Wolmersley Row. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £150, in the patronage of the Vicar of Calverley. The church is dedicated to St. John the Evangelist."


"CROSS KEYS, a hamlet in the chapelry of Idle and parish of Calverley, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles N.E. of Bradford."


"FARSLEY, a hamlet and township in the parish of Calverley, wapentake of Morley, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Bradford. Leeds is its post town. The land is fertile, and in good cultivation. Freestone and coal are extensively wrought. The village is situated in the vale below Stanningley, and the inhabitants are chiefly employed in the woollen manufacture. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £156, in the gift of the vicar of the parish. The church, which has recently been erected, is a neat structure with a tower. The Baptists have a chapel, and there is a National school."


"FULLNECK, a village in the chapelry of Pudsey and parish of Calverley, West Riding county York, 5 miles E. of Bradford. The Moravians for more than a century have had a model establishment here. The village, pleasantly situated on the brow of a hill overlooking a picturesque valley, consists of one street. It contains a chapel, spacious hall, and separate establishments for unmarried brethren, unmarried sisters and widows, also a girls' school. Several trades are carried on for the supply of the community."


"GREEN, a hamlet in the chapelry of Idle and parish of Calverley, West Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Bradford."


"HODGSON FOLD, a hamlet in the township of Bolton, and parish of Calverley, West Riding county York, 2 miles N. of Bradford. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the neighbouring woollen factories."


"IDLE, a township and chapelry in the parish of Calverley, wapentake of Morley, West Riding county York, 9 miles N.W. of Leeds, its post town, 3 N. of Bradford, and 1½ mile from Apperley Bridge railway station. It is situated on the river Aire, and contains Windhill and 2 other hamlets The inhabitants are chiefly, engaged in the woollen cloth manufacture, and there are extensive quarries, employing a large number of hands. The surface is boldly undulating, rising into numerous hills of considerable elevation. The village of Idle, which is considerable, stands on the acclivity of a hill on the S. side of the valley of Airedale; and at the foot of the hill is the large village of Windhill. The Leeds and Liverpool canal passes through this township. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £300, in the patronage of the Vicar of Calverley. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is a stone structure with square embattled tower crowned by pinnacles, and containing one bell. In the interior is a stained-glass window. There is a mechanics' institute, and also a young men's church institute. The Independents, Baptists, Unitarians, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. There are National, British, and infant schools for both sexes, also Sunday-schools connected with the Church and the various Dissenting denominations. W. R. C. Stanfield, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. Fairs are held on the first Wednesday in April and second Wednesday in October for cattle."


"LOWFOLD, a hamlet in the parish of Calverley, West Riding county York, 2 miles N. of Bradford."


"OUT LANE, a hamlet in the township of Bolton and parish of Calverley, West Riding county York, 2 miles N.E. of Bradford. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the woollen factories."


"PARKHILL, a hamlet in the chapelry of Idle and parish of Calverley, West Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Bradford. It is situated near the river Aire, and the Leeds and Liverpool canal."


"PUDSEY, a township and chapelry in the parish of Calverley, wapentake of Morley, West Riding county York, 6 miles S. of Leeds, its post town, 4 E. of Bradford, and half a mile from the Stanningley station, on the Leeds and Bradford railway. This place is mentioned in the Domesday Survey as Podechesaie, and at that time belonged to the Calverley family, by whom the manor was sold in the reign of Edward II. to an ancestor of the Milners. The township, which is extensive, is situated on the brow of a lofty acclivity rising from the valley of Airedale. A large number of its inhabitants are employed in the woollen manufacture, which is carried on to a considerable extent, and is the staple trade of the town. The township comprises the village of Fullneck, with part of Stanningley and the hamlet of Tyersall. The town formerly consisted of only a few scattered hamlets, but now forms one of the most extensive clothing towns in the West Riding. It is well lighted with gas, and has a bank and mechanics' institute. On the banks of the small stream which flows through the valley below the town are numerous scribbling and fulling-mills, and various establishments for dyeing the wool used in the factories. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £300, in the patronage of the Vicar of Calverley. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is a spacious structure with a lofty square embattled tower containing a peal of eight belle. The church was erected in 1823 by the Parliamentary Commissioners, at an outlay of £13,362. It has an E. window enriched with tracery and embellished with stained glass. There is also the district church of St. Paul's, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £150. This last is a modern erection. There are various charities, and two National schools for both sexes. The Independents, Wesleyans, New Connexion Methodists, Baptists, Unitarians, Moravians, and Primitive Methodists have places of worship. H. Stowe, Esq., is lord of the manor. On taking down an old house at Fartown in 1834, nearly 400 silver coins were discovered of Edward VI., Elizabeth, James I., and Charles L"


"RODLEY, a hamlet in the parish of Calverley, wapentake of Morley, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Leeds, and 5 N.E. of Bradford. It is situated near the river Aire, and the line of the North Midland railway."


"THACKLEY, a hamlet in the chapelry of Idle and parish of Calverley, West Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Bradford."


"THORPE, a hamlet in the chapelry of Idle, parish of Calverley, wapentake of Morley, West Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Bradford."


"TYERSALL, a hamlet in the chapelry of Pudsey and parish of Calverley, West Riding county York, 2 miles E. of Bradford."


"WINDIILL, a hamlet in the chapelry of Idle, and parish of Calverley, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Bradford."


"WOMERSLEY ROW, a hamlet in the parish of Calverley, wapentake of Morley, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Bradford."


"WOODHALL HILL, a hamlet in the parish of Calverley, wapentake of Morley, West Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Bradford, near the river Aire."


"WROSE, a hamlet in the chapelry of Idle and parish of Calverley, West Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Bradford."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013