Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Calverley:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Calverley:


"BAGLEY, a hamlet in the township of Calverley with Farsley, and parish of Calverley, 4½ miles from Bradford."


"BANK HOUSES, a hamlet in the township of Pudsey, and parish of Calverley, adjoins Fullneck on the west."


"BOLTON, in the parish of Calverley, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 2 miles N. of Bradford, 8 from Otley. Pop. 634."


"CALVERLEY BRIDGE, in the township of Calverley with Farsley, and parish of Calverley, 4¼ miles from Bradford, 6½ from Leeds."


"FARSLEY, in the township of Calverley with Farsley, and parish of Calverley, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 3¾ miles NE. of Bradford, 6¼ from Leeds. Pop. included in Calverley."


"FULNECK, in the township of Pudsey, and parish of Calverley, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley; 4½ miles from Bradford 6 SW. of Leeds.

Here is a considerable settlement of the Moravian brethren, which was begun about the year 1748. The chief buildings are the hall, containing a chapel, a school for girls, and minister's dwelling; a large school House for boys, a house for single men, another for single women, and another for widows; situated upon a terrace of considerable length, and commanding a fine prospect. These, with the houses for separate families, form a considerable village; various branches of trades are carried on in it, but the chief employment is the woollen manufacture. The single women are famous for their skills working muslins, with the needle and tambour; and their labours sell at a high price. The vocal and instrumental music of the settlement is considered very excellent."


"GIBRALTAR MILL, in the township of Pudsey, and parish of Calverley, 4 miles from Bradford, 6½ from Leeds."


"IDLE, in the parish of Calverley, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 3½ miles N. of Bradford, 6 from Otley, 9 from Leeds. Pop 4,666. The Church is a perpetual curacy, value, p.r. !£109. 5s. Patron, the Vicar of Calverley."


"OWLCOATS, a hamlet in the township of Pudsey, and parish of Calverley, 3 miles from Bradford, 7½ from Leeds."


"PARK LODGE, (the seat of William Hepworth, Esq.) in the township of Idle, and parish of Calverley, 3½ miles from Bradford."


"PRIESTHORPE, a hamlet in the township of Calverley with Farsley, and parish of Calverley, 3½ miles from Bradford."


"PUDSEY, in the parish of Calverley, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles E. of Bradford, 6 from Leeds. Pop. 6,229. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Lawrence, value, *£109. 15s. Patron, the Vicar of Calverley.

This is a populous village, inhabited by persons connected with the woollen manufactory, which may in fact be considered as three villages, under the names of High, Low, and Chapel Pudsey, being nearly a quarter of a mile distant from each other."


"RODLEY, a hamlet in the township of Calverley with Bramley, and parish of Calverley, 5 miles NE. of Bradford, 6½ from Leeds."


"STANNINGLEY, in the townships of Calverley with Farsley, Pudsey, and Bramley, and parishes of Calverley and Leeds, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley; 4 miles from Bradford, 6 from Leeds."


"STONE STILE, a hamlet in the township of Calverley with Farsley, and parish of Calverley, 2½ miles from Bradford."


"THACKLEY, a hamlet in the township of Idle, and parish of Calverley, 4 miles N. of Bradford, 6½ from Otley."


"TYRESALL, in the township of Pudsey, and parish of Calverley, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 2½ miles E. of Bradford, 8 from Leeds."


"WADLANDS, a farm-house in the township of Calverley with Farsley, and parish of Calverley, 3 miles from Bradford."


"WINDHILL, a hamlet in the township of Idle, and parish of Calverley, liberty of Pontefract; 3 miles N. of Bradford, 7½ from Otley."


"WOOD HALL HILLS, a hamlet in the township of Calverley with Farsley, and parish of Calverley, liberty of Pontefract; 3 miles from Bradford, 7 from Leeds."


"WROSE, or WROSE HILL, a hamlet in the township of Idle, and parish of Calverley, liberty of Pontefract; 3 miles N. of Bradford."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]