Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for CAMPSALL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

CAMPSALL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"CAMPSALL, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 8 miles to the N. of Doncaster, its post town. It is crossed the Great Northern railway, on which Askerne, one its townships, is a, station. The parish comprises the townships of Askerne, Campsall, Fenwick, Moss, Norton, and Sutton. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £140, in the patronage of G. C. Yarborough, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. In addition to the parish church there are two district churches, one at Askerne, the other at Fenwick; the livings of which are perpetual curacies, of the joint value of £125, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. Campsall Hall is the seat of the Frank family, one of whom was the antiquary, Richard Frank, Esq., F.R.S., who made a collection of documents for the history of the West Riding. The charitable endowments of the parish amount to about £12 a year."


"ASKERN, a township in the parish of Campsall, and wapentake of Osgoldcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 7 miles to the N. of Doncaster, its post town. It is a station on the Great Northern, and the Lancashire and Yorkshire railways. There is a sulphureous spring near Askern Pool. This place is said to have been the scene of a conflict between the Britons and Saxons, in which Hengist was defeated and slain by Ambrosius. The living is a perpetual curacy* united with that of Fenwick, value £100, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York."


"BARNSDALE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Campsall, wapentake of Osgoldcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the N. of Doncaster. At a short distance from the village is Barnsdale Forest, renewed in story as the haunt of Robin Hood."


"FENWICK, a township in the parish of Campsall, wapentake of Osgoldcross, West Riding county York, 6 miles S. of Snaith, and 8 N. of Doncaster, its post town. The Askern station on the Great Northern railway is about 1 mile S.W. of the village. It is situated on the S. side of the vale of the Wente, and is a long and' straggling place, extending over a distance of nearly 2 miles. With the township of Moss it forms a separate ecclesiastical district. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £50, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is a small edifice. F. B. Frank, Esq., is lord of the manor. The Wesleyans have a chapel."


"KIRKHOULE GREEN, a hamlet in the parishes of Kirk Bramwith and Campsall, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Thorne."


"MOSS, a township in the parish of Campsall, upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Doncaster, and 7 W. by N. of Thorne."


"NORTON, a township in the parish of Campsall, upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, West Riding county York, 2 miles N. of Askern, and 9 N. by W. of Doncaster. The village, which is extensive, is wholly agricultural. The ruins of a priory, which formerly existed here, have been converted into a couple of farmhouses, with cottages adjoining. There are charities of a small amount. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1814. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans, also a National school."


"ROBIN HOOD'S WELL, a hamlet in the townships of Burghwallis, Moss, and Skelbrooke, and parish of Campsall, West Riding county York, 6 miles N. of Doncaster."


"SUTTON, a township in the parishes of Burghwallis and Campsall, upper division of Osgoldcross wapentake, West Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Doncaster."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013