Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: CAMPSALL.     Church dedication: ST. MARY MAGDALENE.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.*1.

Area, 3,930 acres. Osgoldcross wapentake, U. D. -Population, 1,974 *2; Church-room, 575 ; Net value, £128.

22nd Edw. I., Henry de Lacy, Earl of Lincoln, obtained a charter for a market on Thursday here, and a fair on the eve and morrow of St. Mary Magdalene and two days following.

This Church, a Rectory of medieties, was of the patronage of the Barons Newmarch and Lacies, till the consolidation of them into one, viz. that of the Lacies ; from them it came to the Dukes of Lancaster, and in 1481 Edward IV. gave it to the Priory of Wallingwells, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 8th February 1482. The endowment provides that the incumbent shall be a graduate, not below the degree of Master of Arts.

Patrons and impropriators, J. and G. C. Yarborough, Esqrs.

The Church is valued, in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £66. 13s. 4d.; in the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £16. 16s. 8d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 383, it is stated : " Vicarage, £16. 13s. 4d. The towns of Fenwick and Mosse, in this parish, distant above three miles from the Church, and ill ways, where hath been a Chapel, though- now demolished, which towns consist of about sixty-eight families. We think fit that the said Chapel be re-edified, and made a parish Church, and Fenwick and Mosse divided from Campsall, and made a parish, and annexed together."

Augmented, in 1720, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Mr. William Moore and others ; in 1773, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Rev. Henry Yarborough ; and in 1802, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Miss Elizabeth Yarborough.

" The Rectory impropriate is worth between £240 and £250 per annum. A Vicarage was ordained by Archbishop Rotherham, who appointed the Vicar a portion of 25 marks per annum, together with a portion of the Rectory for his mansion-house. This is the present state of this Church. Nothing besides the surplus fees remains to the incumbent but the yearly sum of £16. 13s. 4d., together with the privilege of dwelling in the house. The portion of tithes and glebe out of which the Chancel is repaired, and the Vicar's portion paid, is now in the hands of one Mr. Harvey, a neighbouring gentleman. No benefaction, save the yearly sum of 10s., left by one Mrs. Middleton." Signed, " T. C." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 933.

Inclosure Acts were passed 19th Geo. III. (Fenwick) ; 20th Geo. III. (Moss) ; 54th Geo. III. (Campsall, Norton, and Askern) ; and 1st and 2nd Will. IV.

For the inscriptions and list of Vicars, see Hunter's South Yorkshire.

The Valor Ecclesiasticus mentions a Chantry in this Church.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1563. Charities. -Dole. 10s. per annum, charged on the great tithes in 1483, for the poor.

Poor's Land. Allotment of land at Fishlake, purchased with £10 given by the Rev. Thomas Wray, the Vicar, in 1619, and £20 by the Rev. Dr. Cooke in 1707.

Bread Land. Garths, given by John Pinder, by will, dated 5th December 1735, to provide half-a-dozen loaves, or sixpence in lieu thereof, for the most needful poor widows every Lord's Day morning ; residue to the poorest people of Norton.

NORTON TOWNSHIP. -Thomas Goodridge's gift, in 1700. 2a. 0r. 38p., rent to be dealt on Good Friday to poor widows and fatherless children. The Commissioners thought the land was underlet.

William Moore's gift, by will, dated 9th April 1730. Rent-charge of £1 per annum, for teaching as many poor children as the sum should be sufficient for, and 12s. per annum to the poor. The £1 had not been paid, at the time of the Report, for several years.

Elizabeth Roebuck's gift, in 1715. £3, the interest for the poor. Lost by insolvency.

SUTTON TOWNSHIP. -Jane Middleton's, otherwise Jane Vickers's gift, in 1723. Rent of 3a. 2r. 0p. of land. Rents-charge of 10s. per annum to the minister ; 10s. per annum to the poor of Sutton, to be paid every new year's day ; and £1. 5s. 10d. per annum for teaching three of the poorest children of Sutton to read, &c., and that each of the said poor children be provided with a Bible and Prayer-Book.

Moss TOWNSHIP. -Edward Bowser's gift. £8, left for the poor. No account obtained by the Commissioners. -Vide 18th Report, page 596.

Post town: Doncaster.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1,021. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 209. Nonae Roll, page 222. Bodleian MS., No. 5,101. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 463.


Notes:
*1 In 1834, Campsall was returned as a Perpetual Curacy.

*2 Viz. Askerne, 256 ; Campsall, 386 ; Fenwick, 286; Moss, 269; Norton, 643; and Sutton, 134.


Other information:
NORTON. -There was a free Chapel at Norton, in which were two Chantries.


References:
Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 473.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.