|Carleton In Craven
"CARLETON IN CRAVEN, a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of Staincliff, in the West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the S.W. of Skipton, its post town. It is situated on the river Aire, near the Skipton and Colne branch of the Midland railway, and contains the hamlet of Lothersdale. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £400, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. An almshouse for 12 women was founded about 1700, by Ferrand Spence, which has a revenue from endowment of £280 per annum. A chapel and garden are attached to the almshouse. Here is also an endowed free school for boys, founded by Elizabeth Wilkinson in 1709, the income of which is £120 a year."
"LOTHERSDALE, a hamlet in the parish of Carleton-in-Craven, West Riding county York, 2 miles S.W. of Skipton. This place, which consists of a few scattered houses, is situated in a deep valley. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £100, in the patronage of the vicar of the parish. The church was erected in 1838 on a site presented by the Earl of Burlington."