"CASTLEFORD, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Castleford and Glass-Houghton, and containing 1434 inhabitants, of which number, 1022 are in the township of Castleford, 3 miles N.W. from Pontefract. The living is.a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £20. 13.1%., and in the patronage of the King, as Duke of Lancaster. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is supposed to occupy the site of a Roman camp, as this place was anciently a station belonging to that people, antiquaries identifying it with Legiolium, or Lagetium, described in Antoninus' Itinerary as being situated on the river Aire, where it was crossed by a ford on the line of the ancient Herman- street, which passed between Doncaster and York; coins and other remains of'the Romans have been frequently discovered. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Castleford is a thriving village, haying an extensive pottery and a mill for grinding flint: it is situated at a short distance from the junction of the Aire and the Calder, the latter of which, in. 1698, was made navigable to Wakefield. There is a peculiar regulation for the payment of tithes in this parish, sanctioned by an act of parliament; the rector receives twenty-eight quarts of wheat for every pound sterling paid by the tenant to his landlord on arable land, and twenty quarts for every two pounds on grazing land. It is related that the citizens of York being pursued by Ethelred's army, in 750, turned at this place, and committed great slaughter on their pursuers."
"GLASSHOUGHTON, a township in the parish of CASTLEFORD, upper division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of, the county of YORK, 2 miles N.W. from Pontefract, containing 412 inhabitants."