Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades"
for CAWOOD in Pigot's Directory of 1829.
- Market-place, John Stead, Post Master.
- Letters for all parts are despatched to Selby. every Monday, Tuesday and
Saturday at nine in the morning, and arrive therefrom on the same days at
five in the afternoon.
Nobility, Gentry and Clergy,
- Croft Rev. Christopher, Ryther gate
- Milner Sir William Mordant, Nun Appleton
- Nicholson Nichol, esq. Wistow gate
- Wormald Edward, esq. Cawood castle
- Clark William, Market place
- Whiteman John, Ryther gate
- Whiteman William, Ryther gate
Inns, Taverns & Public Houses,
- Anchor, Joseph Hawcroft, Market place
- Cawood Castle, William Benson, Wistow gate King street
- Ferry House, William Harrington,
- Jolly Sailor, James Dawson, Market place
- Red Lion, John Barrows, Sherburn street
- Thompson's Arms, John Smith, Market place
Shopkeepers & Traders,
- Armstrong William, carpenter & joiner, Market place
- Benson William, butcher, Sherburn street
- Dowson Elizabeth, straw hat maker, Sherburn street
- Emmet Anthony, tailor, Ryder gate
- Fetherston William, baker, Market place
- Forth Henry, tailor, Market place
- Grindwell William, boot & shoemaker, Market place
- Harper William, linen draper, Market place
- Hartle Joseph, butcher, Sherburn street
- Johnson Beilby, grocer and linen draper, Sherburn street
- Leaper Thomas, saddler & harness maker, Ryther gate
- Marshall William, hop & nail bag manufacturer, Ryther gate
- Mountain Joseph, butcher, Market place
- Prince William, butcher, Market place
- Rennison Joseph, master of the free grammar school, Water row
- Ryther John, potter, Ryther gate
- Smith Matthew, corn miller
- Taylor James, linen draper, Market place
- Turner Nathaniel, bricklayer, Market place
- Walkup William, hair dresser, Market place
- Wood Joseph, blacksmith, Market place
Conveyance By Water. Canal,
- To York, Thomas Bolton's Market Boat, every Thursday and Saturday.
Transcribed by Colin Hinson. ©2003
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©CRH 2006
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
[Last updated at 18.56 on Sunday, 29 May 2011, by Colin Hinson. ©2011]