Area, 2,840 acres. Barkston Ash wapentake, L. D *1. -Population, 1,173 ; Church-room, 850 *2 ; Net value, £118. --In Cawood, one carucate of land was held of the King by the heirs of Dautre, and rendered one barbed arrow.
King Stephen granted to the Archbishop in fee and inheritance seven oxgangs of land in Cawood.
This Church was appropriated to the Prebend of Wistow, but no Vicarage ordained.
Patron and impropriator, the Prebendary of Wistow.
In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 527, it is stated, " There was formerly only a Reader here."
The Cure was augmented, in 1810, with £200; in 1811, from the Parliamentary grant, with £1,000; and in 1812, from the same grant, with £400 -all by lot.
An Inclosure Act was passed in the 16th Geo. III.
There is no glebe house.
Feoffee Estate. -123a. 1R. 24a. of land and 19 cottages. Rental, at the time of the Report, £212. 9s., applied for the support of the Staith and banks, the reparation of the highways, coals for widows, support of the poor, educating five poor children, and apprenticing poor boys. Some of the property is said to have been given by Archbishop Harsnett.
Sarah Morritt's gift. Interest of £40. Nathaniel Percival's gift. Interest of £50 in bread.
James Smith's gift. Interest of £10 in bread.
William James's Hospital. By will, about 1723, four poor persons receive £18 a-piece per annum. Endowment, 57a. 3r. 36p. of land.
Duffield's School (vide 21st Report, page 620, General Charities). Six girls are boarded, clothed, and educated, from the age of seven to sixteen. -Vide 10th Report, page 742, and 21st Report, page 620.
Cawood Castle was formerly the chief place of residence of the Archbishop of York, and was given to the See by King Athelstan. It was surrendered to the Parliamentary forces in 1644, and dismantled two years afterwards.
The Register books commence in 1591. There is a chasm from 1642 to 1649.
Post town: Selby.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 847. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 285. Gent's Ripon, page 60. Mountain's Cawood.
*1 The parish of Cawood is partly in the liberty of St. Peter of York.
*2 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 700: in 1834 it was stated at 350, but which appears to be a typographical error for 860, as stated in the last edition of the Clerical Guide (1836).