[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"CAWTHORNE, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; (the seat of Thomas West, Esq.) 4 miles WNW. of Barnsley, 4½ from Penistone, 9½ from Wakefield, 38 from York. Pop. 1,518. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to All-Saints (see Churches
for photograph), in the deanry of Doncaster, value, p.r. £100. Patron, the Freeholders who vote according to the quantity of land they possess; John Spenser Stanhope, Esq. of Cannon Hall, having the greatest number of votes, may be considered the Patron.
Here is a Free School founded, in consequence of a decree of the Dutchy court at Lancaster, dated June 25th, 1639. The master is nominated and elected by the Chancellor of the Dutchy court, which court pays annually to the master £5. 4s. out of its revenues; and the inhabitants pay the master £5. 5s. 6d. and find him a dwelling House, &c. valued at £4. 4s. per annum."
"BANKS HALL, (the seat of Samuel Thorpe, Esq.) in the township and parish of Cawthorne; 4 miles from Penistone, 4½ from Barnsley."
"BARNBY FURNACE, and BARNBY HALL, 2 farm-houses in the township and parish of Cawthorne, liberty of Pontefract; 3½ miles from Barnsley, 5½ from Penistone."
"DEYKIN BROOK, a hamlet in the township and parish of Cawthorne; 3 miles N. of Penistone, 5½ from Barnsley."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]