Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for CAWTHORNE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

CAWTHORNE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"CAWTHORNE, a parish in the wapentake of Staincross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles S.W. of the Darton railway station, and 4 miles N.W. of Barnsley, its post town. The Barnsley canal terminates in this parish, in a basin, which is connected by a tramway with Silkstone and the neighbouring collieries. Cawthorne was a chapelry in the parish of Silkstone, but in 1707 was made parochial and independent. Veins of ironstone have been long worked, and there is a chalybeate spring. The population is agricultural, excepting those employed in mines and collieries, or as hand-loom weavers. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £185, in the patronage of J. S. Stanhope, Esq. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an old building in the Gothic and later English styles of architecture, The register is ancient. The late Rev. Joseph Hunter thought it not improbable that Cawthorne, though subsequently a dependent chapel, was the original mother church for the whole wapentake of Staincross. There is an old grammar school, now enlarged and used for the education of from 80 to 90 boys, and also for a night school of boys and girls. There is besides a girls' schoolhouse, recently built by John Spencer Stanhope, Esq., for the education of about 100 girls, in Tivydale. The Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans have places of worship, used likewise as schools for boys and girls. Not far from the village is Cannon Hall, the residence of J. S. Stanhope, Esq.; also Barmby Hall, the residence of the Knightly family, and Banks Hall."


"BARNBY BASIN, (and Barnby Furnace) hamlets in the parish of Cawthorne, and wapentake of Staincross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles from Barnsley."


"DEACON BROOK, a hamlet in the parish of Cawthorne, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles N.W. of Barnsley."


"NORCROFT, a hamlet in the parish of Cawthorne, West Riding county York, 4 miles W. by N. of Barnsley."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013