Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for CLAPHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

CLAPHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"CLAPHAM, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Austwick, Clapham with Newby, and Lawkland, and containing 1889 inhabitants, of which number, 982 are in the township of Clapham with Newby, 6 miles W.N.W. from Settle. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £5. 17- 1., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester. In 1711, George Ellis bequeathed property now let for £89 per annum, out of which he directed £6. 13. 4. to be paid to a schoolmaster, for teaching twenty children of Clapham and Newby; the residue, after deducting trifling sums for books, and annual expenses to the trustees, is paid to the minister for preaching two sermons every Sunday: there is a school-room at Newby, and another, built by subscription in 1824, at Clapham, for the purposes of this charity, which has been augmented to upwards of £15 per annum by the subsequent bequests of Henry and Grace Winterburn. A fair for sheep is held on the 21st of September."


"AUSTWICK, a township in the parish of CLAPHAM, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.W. from Settle, containing 556 inhabitants. A fair for cattle is held on the Thursday before Whitsuntide. There are two small bequests for the instruction of poor children."


"ELDROTH, a hamlet in the parish of CLAPHAM, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.W. from Settle. The population is returned with the parish. An ancient chapel of ease has been converted into a school, which is endowed with land and. certain bequests for the education of children."


"LAWKLAND, a township in the parish of CLAPHAM, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles W.N.W. from Settle, containing 351 inhabitants. Eldroth chapel, in this township, formerly a chapel of ease, is now used as a school-room for teaching poor children, for which-purpose there is an endowment in land and money, producing about £ 13 a year."


"NEWBY, a township, joint with Clapham, in the parish of CLAPHAM, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles N.W. from Settle. The population is returned with Clapham."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]