"COLLINGHAM, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.S.W. from Wetherby, containing 286 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £3. 11. 5., endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Mrs. Wheeler. The church is dedicated to St. Oswald. A charity school was founded, in 1738, by Lady Elizabeth Hastings, with an endowment, producing £24 per annum, for teaching twenty children, and providing them with books."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]