"COWTHORPE, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of Clare, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles N.E. of Wetherby, its post town and railway station. It is situated on the river Nidd. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon, value £130, in the patronage of A. Montague, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a stone structure in the perpendicular style of architecture. It was built in 1455, and contains monuments and a brass to Judge Roucliffe and his wife (1494). The register commences in 1568. The charities amount to £100 per annum. Here is an oak, measuring 60 feet at the girth, whose branches at one period shaded half an acre of land. In 1749 the head of a stag was here discovered, the spread of the horns measuring 6 feet. Andrew Montague, Esq., is lord of the manor. Agriculture forms the chief employment of the inhabitants."