GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
  Yorkshire Yorkshire   West Riding West Riding   Neighbours Nearby places

The Ancient Parish of CROFTON

[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]

"CROFTON, a parish-town, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract, (the seat of Sir Henry Wright Wilson, Bart.); 3½ miles SE. of Wakefield, 6 from Pontefract, 29 from York. Pop. 459. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to All Saints, in the deanry of Pontefract, value, 10. 0s. 2½d. Patron, the King, as Duke of Lancaster.

Here was born Richard Fleming, founder of Lincoln College, Oxford: in 1406, he was Prebendary of South Newbald, and in 1407, served the office of Proctor at Oxford; in 1415, he exchanged South Newbald for Langtoft, and in 1420, was advanced to the See of Lincoln, by favour of Henry V. He died at Sleaford, 1430/31. He was named by Pope Martin to the vacant Bishopric of York, about 1426; but the appointment was frustrated by the King, and Dean and Chapter. --Hist. Oxford.

He was, for some time, zealous in supporting Wickliffe's doctrines, which afterwards, however, he as strenuously opposed. --Biogr. Dict."


"BIRKWOOD, 2 farm-houses in the township and parish of Crofton; 3½ miles from Wakefield."


"OAKENSHAW, a farm-house in the township and parish of Crofton; 1½ miles SE. of Wakefield, 7 from Pontefract."


"WIND MILL HOUSE, a public house in the township and parish of Crofton; 4 miles from Wakefield, 5 from Pontefract."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson 2007]

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Directories

Gazetteers

Maps

Memorial Inscriptions

Names (Geographical)

Societies


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014