Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: WORSBROUGH.     Church dedication: SAINT MARY.

Staincross wapentake. -Population, 2,677, vide Darfield ; Chapel-room, 1,000 *1; Net value, £140.

Patron and impropriator, the Rector of Darfield.

Valued, in 1818, at £63. 0s. 6d. per annum. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 452, it is there stated to be "Five miles from Darfield. 100 families. Value, £35 per annum, of which £30 is for a lecture, founded by one John Rayney, gent., deceased. To be made a parish."

A Chantry was founded in this Chapel on the 10th October 1412, by Sir Robert Rokeley, Knight. Two Chantries are named in the Valor Ecc.

Augmented, in 1722, with £200, to meet benefaction of lands worth £200 from T. Edmunds, Esq., Francis Hall, and Henry Carrington ; and in 1767, with £200; and in 1813, with £1,000 from the Parliamentary grant-both by lot.

Mr. Hunter gives some information relative to the income of the Curacy.

An Inclosure Act was passed 57th Geo. III.

The glebe house is fit for residence. It was built about 1700, chiefly at the expense of Henry Edmunds, Esq.

The Register books commence in 1559.

Lectureship. -This was founded in 1631 by John Rayney, Esq., of the city of London, and the nomination is in certain trustees (vide nomination of William Porter in 1781). Archbishop Sharp gives a particular account of the endowment of this Lectureship.

Charities:
The School. This school appears to have been, by its original institution, a grammar school. The master has always been the Curate or Minister of the Chapel. It is under the superintendence of trustees. Income (exclusive of a dwelling-house for the master) : pension of £4. 15s. per annum from the Duchy of Lancaster, rent of 3a. 1r. 0p. of land, and rent-charge of £13. 6s. 8d., left by John Rayney. The dead languages were formerly taught in the school, but for upwards of 50 years only English reading, writing, and arithmetic, have been taught ; and under the sanction of the trustees, the duties of the master have been performed through the medium of an assistant, who receives the whole of the emoluments. About thirty children are termed free scholars, who, however, pay 3s. 4d. each per annum.

John Rayney's charity, by will, dated 25th February 1631. Rents-charge of £30 per annum, for, the better maintenance of a preacher, to preach twice on the Sabbath-day in the Chapel, and to read divine service in the absence of the reader appointed for that purpose ; £13. 6s. 8d. per annum to the schoolmaster ; and £6. 13s. for the aged and impotent people of Darfield, Wombwell, Worsbrough, and Worsbrough Dale.

Roades's gift. Rent-charge of 10s. per annum for the poor.

Richard Townend's gift. Rent-charge of £2 per annum for coals for the poor.

Mrs. Skiers's gift. Rent-charge of £2 per annum for teaching six poor girls to knit and sew.

Poor's Money. Interest of £174, given by Francis Willson, Mrs. Wilcock, William Allott, and a person unknown. Given in coals.

Mrs. Ann Shaw's gift, by will, dated 4th June 1818. A legacy of £20, to be applied for the encouragement of a Sunday school. -Vide 17th Report, page 789.

Post town: Barnsley.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1,215. Bodleian MSS., No. 5,101. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 237. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 281.


Notes:
*1 As returned in 1818. No return in 1834.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.