Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for DARFIELD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

DARFIELD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"DARFIELD, a parish comprising the chapelry of Worsbrough, and the township of Ardsley, in the wapentake of STAINCROSS, and the townships of Billingley, Darfield, Great Houghton, Little Houghton, and Wombwell, in the northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-and-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, and containing 4340 inhabitants, of which number, 512 are in the township of Darfield, 5 miles S.E. from Barnesley. The living is a discharged vicarage in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the, king's books at £14. 11. 7., endowed with £600 private benefaction, and £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge; there is also a rectory, one moiety of which is rated at £ 53. 1. 8., and in the patronage of the Rev. Henry Cooke. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The rivers Drame and Dove run through this parish, and on their banks are some large mills. There are grounds for bleaching linen and yarn, and establishments for weaving cloth, smelting and casting iron, &c. Several trifling endowments have been given for the instruction of children; and an hospital for four widows has been endowed by the Saville family."


"ARDSLEY, a township in that part of the parish of DARFIELD, which is in the wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 2J% miles S.E. from Barnesley, containing 992 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Richard Micklethwaite, in 1745, gave land for the instruction of five children, to which bequest an addition of £50 was made by John Micklethwaite, in 1752,"


"BILLINGLEY, a township in that part of the parish of DARFIELD, which is in the northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH and TicKHiLL,West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.E. from Barnesley, containing 214 inhabitants."


"GREAT HOUGHTON, a township in that part of the parish of DARFIELD, which is in the northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-AND-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles N.E. from Barnesley, containing 287 inhabitants, A small school, in which ten poor children are instructed, gratuitously, was founded and endowed with £3.5. per annum, and a house for the master, by a member of the family of Rhodes."


"LITTLE HOUGHTON, a township in that part of the parish of DARFIELD, which is in the northern division of. the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-AND-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles E. from Barnesley, containing 112 inhabitants."


"WOMBWELL, a chapelry in that part of the parish of DARFIELD, which is in the northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-and-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles E.S.E. from Barnesley, containing 811 inhabitants."


"WORSBROUGH, a chapelry in that part of the parish of DARFIELD, which is in the wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.E. from Barnesley, containing 1392 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Rector of Darfield. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, is an elegant building, principally in the later style of English architecture, with a low tower surmounted by a spire. A free school here is endowed with an an nual pension of £4. 15. from the Crown, an annuity of £13. 6. 8. bequeathed by John Rayney, in 1631, and a house and land let for £13 per annum: the classics were formerly taught, but for the last fifty years only an English education has been given to about thirty boys. A Sunday school was established, in 1818, by Anna Shaw, who bequeathed £20 towards its support."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]