Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for DARFIELD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

DARFIELD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"DARFIELD, a parish in the wapentake of Staincross and partly in the N. division of the wapentake of Strafforth, in the West Riding of the county of York, 9 miles W. of Doncaster, and 3½ S.E. of Barnsley. It has a station on the North Midland railway, and at Ardley in this parish is a station on the Barnsley branch of the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire line. The rivers Dearne and Dove, and the Dearne and Dove canal, intersect the parish. On the banks of the two first are several large corn-mills and extensive bleaching grounds for linen and yarn. The whole district is rich in mineral wealth, and there is an extensive colliery called Darfield Main. The village, which is populous, contains several establishments for smelting iron ore, and foundry for castings. The woollen manufacture is also carried on to some extent. The living is divided into two moieties. The first moiety is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £1,500, in the patronage of the Rev. H. Cooke. The second moiety is a vicarage,* value £220, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge. The parish church, situated on an eminence, is an ancient structure, with a square embattled tower. It contains many interesting monuments. There are besides, the following district churches: Ardsley, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £120, in the patronage of the vicar. Worsbrough, a perpetual curacy,* value £150, in the patronage of the rector. The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, is in the early English style. Also Worsbrough St. Thomas, a perpetual curacy in the patronage of the crown and the Archbishop of York alternately. The church has been recently built. There are besides chapels-of-ease at Wombwell and Houghton. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The parochial charities produce about £71 per annum. There is an almshouse for four widows, founded by the Saville family."


"ARDSLEY, a township in the parish of Darfield, wapentake of Staincross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the S.E. of Barnsley. It is a station on the Barnsley branch of the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railway. The Dearne and Dove canal passes near it. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £120, in the patronage of the vicar. There is a chapel belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists. An endowment by Richard Micklethwaite in 1745, for the education of five children, was augmented by a bequest of John Micklethwaite in 1752. Ardsley Hall, the seat of the Micklethwaites, and Ardsley Park House, are the principal residences."


"BILLINGLEY, a township in the parish of Darfield, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the E. of Barnsley. The North Midland railway runs near it."


"BIRDWELL, a hamlet in the chapelry of Worsbrough, and parish of Darfield, in the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles from Barnesley. It is a station on the South Yorkshire railway."


"BLACKER, a hamlet in the chapelry of Worsborough, and parish of Darfield, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the S. of Barnsley"


"DOVECLIFFE, a hamlet in the parish of Darfield, West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles S.E. of Barnsley, and 3 from Wombwell by the South Yorkshire and Manchester and Sheffield railway, on which it is a station. It is situated near the river Dearne and the Dove canal."


"EDWARDTHORPE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Darfield, West Riding county York, 4 miles E. of Barnsley. The North Midland railway passes through the hamlet."


"GREAT HOUGHTON, a township in the parish of Darfield, wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 2 miles from Darfield, and 7 E. of Barnsley. It is situated near the North Midland railway. The village, which is well built, is situated on a lofty ridge commanding an extensive view over the surrounding country, which is fertile and well cultivated. Here are the ruins of Houghton Hall, part of which is converted into a public-house. In the ancient chapel adjoining the hall Divine service is performed every Sunday. There is an endowed school; also a place of worship for the Wesleyans. R. M. Milnes, Esq., M.P., is lord of the manor."


"HEMINGFIELD, a village in the township of Wombwell, and parish of Darfield, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Barnsley, near the river Dearne and Dove canal."


"LITTLE HOUGHTON, a township in the parish of Darfield, wapentake of Staincross, West Riding county York, 1½ mile from Darfield, 6 miles from Barnsley, and 1 mile from Great Houghton. This township is small, and contains only a few scattered farmhouses. The Rev. G. Wright of Bilham is lord of the manor."


"LOB WOOD, a hamlet in the chapelry of Worsbrough and parish of Darfield, West Riding of county York, 2 miles S. of Barnsley."


"MILLHOUSE, a village in the township and parish of Darfield, wapentakes of Strafforth and Staincross, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Barnsley. It is situated near the river Dearne, and on the line of the North Midland railway."


"OUSLETHWAITE, a hamlet in the chapelry of Worsbrough and parish of Darfield, West Riding county York, 2 miles S. of Barnsley."


"PANTRY GREEN, a hamlet in the chapelry of Worsbrough, parish of Darfield, West Riding county York, 3 miles S. of Barnsley. It is situated near the Dearne and Dove branch canal. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the neighbouring collieries."


"PINDEN OAKS, a hamlet in the chapelry of Wersbrough, parish of Darfield, West Riding county York, 2 miles S. of Barnsley. It is situated near the Dearne and Dove branch canal. The inhabitants are engaged in the neighbouring coal and iron-mines."


"SWAITH, a hamlet in the chapelry of Worsbrough and parish of Darfield, West Riding county York, 2 miles S. of Barnsley."


"TYERS HILL, a hamlet in the parish of Darfield, West Riding county York, 7 miles N. of Rotherham."


"WARD GREEN, a hamlet in the chapelry of Worsbrough and parish of Darfield, West Riding county York, 2 miles S. of Barnsley."


"WOMBWELL, a township and chapelry in the parish of Darfield, wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Barnsley. It is intersected by the Dearne and Dove canals, and the South Yorkshire railway, which has a junction station here where the Barnsley branch turns off. It contains the hamlet of Hemingfield."


"WORSBROUGH, a township in the parish of Darfield, wapentake of Staincross, West Riding county York, 3 miles S.E. of Barnsley, and 11 N. of Sheffield. The village is traversed by the South Yorkshire railway and the Dearne and Dove branch canal, which passes to Worsbrough Bridge, affording facilities of conveyance for the produce of the extensive collieries, stone quarries, and iron works in the neighbourhood. The township contains Worsbrough Common and Dale, and eight other hamlets In Worsbrough Dale are extensive mines of the ten-foot coal in full operation, also gunpowder, paper, and corn mills, chemical works, and flint-glass works. There are two churches, dedicated respectively to St. Mary and St. Thomas; the former, a chapel-of-ease to Darfield, was, with the exception of the tower and spire, rebuilt in 1839 at a cost of £1,200; the latter was erected in 1859 at a cost of £3,500. There are chapels for the Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Independents, and three day schools for boys and girls partially endowed, and three church Sunday-schools. The principal seats are Darley Hall, Ouselthwaite, Round Green, and Worsbrough Hall, in which last are preserved a cabinet once belonging to Charles I., the sheets in which he slept the night before his execution, and the block on which the Earl of Stafford was executed. John Jeffrocks, Esq., is lord of the manor of Darley, and Vernon Wentworth, Esq., of Stainborough Hall, of the manor of Worsbrough."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013