Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for DARTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

DARTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"DARTON, a parish in the wapentake of Staincross in the West Riding of the county of York, 7 miles S.W. of Wakefield, and 3½ N.W. of Barnsley. It is situated on the Dearne and Dove canal, and contains the townships of Fexborough and Barugh, and the villages of Mapplewell, Darton, and Staincross, the last giving name to the wapentake In the village of Mapplewell the inhabitants are chiefly employed in weaving, and in the manufacture of nails and vitriol, and near Darton are large collieries and quarries. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £150, in the patronage of T. W. Beaumont, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a stone building in the Gothic style, and contains a marble monument to John Silvester. There is a district church at Gawber, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £15, in the patronage of the bishop. The Wesleyans, New Connexion Methodists, and Nonconformists have places of worship in the parish. The charities amount to £273 per annum. There is a free school, originally endowed by George Beaumont in 1688, for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. The other charities amount to about £50 per annum."


"BARUGH, (or Bargh), a township in the parish of Darton, wapentake of Staincross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the N. W. of Barnsley. The population are chiefly employed in the linen and other manufactures. The charities, which include a small free school and an almshouse, amount to £17 per annum."


"BLACKER, a hamlet in the parish of Darton, wapentake of Staincross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N.W. of Barnsley."


"BROADROYD HEAD, a hamlet in the parish of Darton, wapentake of Staincross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N.W. of Barnsley."


"CARR GREEN, a hamlet in the township and parish of Darton, wapentake of Staincross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N-W. of Barnsley."


"GAWBER, a hamlet in the township of Barugh and parish of Darton, West Riding county York, 2 miles N.W. of Barnsley, its post town. Here is a church, the living of which is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £45, in the gift of the Vicar of Darton."


"HAIGH, a hamlet in the township of Kexborough and parish of Darton, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Barnsley. It is a station on the Wakefield and Barnsley branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. The principal residence is Haigh Hall."


"HIGHAM, a hamlet in the township of Barugh, parish of Darton, West Riding county York, 2 miles N.W. of Barnsley. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the neighbouring factories."


"KEXBOROUGH, a township in the parish of Darton, wapentake of Staincross, West Riding county York, 8 miles S. of Wakefield, and 1 mile W. of Darton. The village, which is small, is situated on a gentle acclivity sloping to the river Dearne. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the coal mines and in weaving. There is an endowed school, and a small chapel for Wesleyans. The land is very fertile, and planted in many parts with fine timber. At Swithen is an establishment for bleaching webs and damasks. The principal residences are Birthwaite Hall and Haigh Hall: the former, an old seat of the Burdetts, with towers and turrets; the latter is the property of T. Wentworth Beaumont, Esq., to whom the estate belongs."


"MAPPLEWELL, a hamlet in the township and parish of Darton, wapentake of Staincross, West Riding county York, 3 miles able abundance. A large tract of marshland adjoining N.W. of Barnsley. The inhabitants are principally the Chapel Rock off the beach has been recently reclaimed employed in the coal mines. The Dearne and Dove canal passes in the vicinity."


"STAINCROSS, a hamlet in the parish of Darton, West Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Barnsley."


"SWALLOWHILL, a hamlet in the parish of Darton, West Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Barnsley, on the Dearne and Dove canal."


"SWITHEN, a hamlet in the township of Kexbrough and parish of Darton, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Barnsley."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013