Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Darton:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Darton:


"BARUGH, in the parish of Darton, wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; 3 miles NW. of Barnsley, 5 from Penistone, 9¼ from Wakefield. Pop. 396."


"BIRTHWAITE HALL, (the seat of Thos. Riskworth, Esq.) in the township of Kexbrough, and parish of Darton, liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles N.W. of Barnsley, 8 from Wakefield.

Birthwaite Hall was formerly the residence of the ancestors of the present Sir Francis Burdett, Bart. Thomas Burdett, the second son of Richard Burdett of Denby, was living here in 1494."


"BROAD ROYD HEAD, a hamlet in the township and parish of Darton; 3 miles from Barnsley, 8 from Wakefield, 8½ from Penistone."


"CLAY CLIFFE, a hamlet in the township of Barugh, and parish of Darton; 2 miles from Barnsley, 5½ from Penistone."


"DAY HOUSE, a farm-house in the township of Barugh, and parish of Darton; 2 miles NW. of Barnsley, 6 from Penistone, 9½ from Wakefield."


"FOX HALL, a farm-house in the township of Kexbrough, and parish of Darton; 4½ miles NW. of Barnsley."


"GAWBER, a hamlet in the township of Barugh, and parish of Darton; 2 miles N.W. of Barnsley, its post town. Here is a church, the living of which is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, in the gift of the Vicar of Darton. (Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868)."


"GAWBER HALL, a farm-house in the township of Barugh, and parish of Darton; 1½ miles W. of Barnsley."


"HAIGH, a hamlet in the township of Kexbrough, and parish of Darton, liberty of Pontefract; (Haigh Hall, the residence of Robert Hodgson, Esq.). This place was anciently known as Southange; 6 miles from Barnsley, 7 from Penistone and Wakefield."


"HIGHAM, a hamlet in the township of Barugh, and parish of Darton; 2¼ miles W. of Barnsley, 5 from Penistone."


"KEXBROUGH, in the parish of Darton, wapentake of Staincross; liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles from Barnsley, 5½ from Penistone 8½ from Wakefield. Pop. 440."


"LANE HEAD, a farm-house in the township and parish of Darton; 3½ miles W. of Barnsley."


"LOWER CARR GREEN, a hamlet in the township and parish of Darton; 2¾ miles from Barnsley."


"MAPPLEWELL, in the township and parish of Darton, wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; 2 miles n. of Barnsley."


"OAKS, a farm-house in the township and parish of Darton; 3 miles from Barnsley, 7½ from Penistone."


"SKIERS MOOR, in the parish of Darton, wapentake of Staincross, and honour of Pontefract; 1½ mile from Barnsley."


"STAINCROSS, (which gives name to the wapentake) in the township and parish of Darton, wapentake of Staincross; 3½ miles N. of Barnsley, 7 from Penistone and Wakefield."


"SWALLOW HILL, a hamlet in the township and parish of Darton; 2½ miles N. of Barnsley, 5½ from Penistone."


"SWITHIN, a farm-house in the township of Kexbrough, and parish of Darton; 5 miles NW. of Barnsley, 6½ from Penistone."


"UPPER CARR GREEN, a hamlet in the township and parish of Darton; 3 miles from Barnsley."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]