Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Dewsbury:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Dewsbury:


"BALK HILL, a hamlet in the township and parish of Dewsbury, ¼ of a mile from Dewsbury."


"BELLY BRIDGE, 2 houses in the township of Hartshead with Clifton, and parish of Dewsbury, 4 miles from Halifax."


"BOOTHROYD, (Upper and Lower), a hamlet in the township and parish of Dewsbury, liberty of Wakefield; 1 mile from Dewsbury, 6 from Wakefield."


"CHICKENLEY, a hamlet in the township of Soothill, and parish of Dewsbury, liberty of Wakefield, 1¼ mile S. of Dewsbury."


"CHIDSWELL, a hamlet in the township of Soothill, and parish of Dewsbury, liberty of Wakefield, 3 miles NE. of Dewsbury."


"CLIFTON, in the parish of Dewsbury, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 5 miles E. of Halifax and Huddersfield, 10 from Wakefield. Pop. included in Hartshead."


"CROW NEST, (the seat of John Hague, Esq.) in the township and parish of Dewsbury, liberty of Wakefield, 2 miles from Dewsbury, 5½ from Wakefield."


"DAW GREEN, in the township and parish of Dewsbury, liberty of Wakefield, half a mile from Dewsbury, 5½ from Wakefield."


"DEWSBURY MILLS, a hamlet in the township and parish of Dewsbury, 1 mile from Dewsbury."


"DEWSBURY MOOR SIDE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Dewsbury, liberty of Wakefield, (the seat of Abraham Greenwood, Esq.) 1 mile W. of Dewsbury, 6 from Wakefield."


"EARLS HEATON, in the township of Soothill, and parish of Dewsbury, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 1 mile N. of Dewsbury, 4 from Wakefield."


"GAWTHORPE, in the township of Ossett, and parish of Dewsbury, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 2 miles E. of Dewsbury, 3½ from Wakefield, 8 from Leeds."


"HANGING HEATON, in the township of Soothill, and parish of Dewsbury, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 1 mile N. of Dewsbury, 5 from Wakefield."


"HARTSHEAD, in the parish of Dewsbury, Morley division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 5 miles N. of Huddersfield and Dewsbury, 6 from Halifax. Pop. including Clifton, 2007. The Church is a perpetual curacy, value, p.r. !£95. Patron, the Vicar of Dewsbury.

The Chapel of Hartshead is dependent on the Church of Dewsbury, and is the only one existing in the parish. It was in being at the time the living of Dewsbury was granted by the second Earl Warren, to the Priory of Lewis, about the year 1120; and may have existed before the time of Domesday. Great part of the fabric has been renewed since the first erection, but the principal door, and the arch over the entrance of the choir remain, both adorned by semicircular arches. At a small distance, by the highway side, leading to the common, is the base of a genuine Saxon cross, called Walton Cross, four feet five inches in height, and two feet three inches at the top. It is wrought in the usual style, with knots and scrolls, and has a cavity at the top for the insertion of a shaft. --Whitaker's Loidis and Elmete."


"HEATON HILL, scattered houses, in the township of Soothill, and parish of Dewsbury, half a mile from Dewsbury."


"KIRKLEES HALL, (the seat of Sir George Armitage, Bart.) in the township of Hartishead with Clifton, and parish of Dewsbury, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 4½ miles N. of Huddersfield, 6 from Halifax, 12 from Leeds." (There is further information for Kirklees Hall).


"LOW LAITHES, (the seat of Mrs. Smithson) in the township of Ossett with Gawthorpe, and parish of Dewsbury, 2 miles from Dewsbury."


"OSSETT, in the parish of Dewsbury, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 2½ miles W. of Wakefield, 3 from Dewsbury. Pop. 4,775. The Church is a perpetual curacy, value, p.r. £115. 5s. Patron, the Vicar of Dewsbury."


"PISMIRE HILL, a hamlet in the township and parish of Dewsbury, 1½ miles from Dewsbury."


"SHAW CROSS, 2 or 3 h, in the township of Soothill, and parish of Dewsbury, liberty of Wakefield, 2 miles NE. of Dewsbury."


"SOOTHILL, (Upper and Nether) in the parish of Dewsbury, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 2 miles N. of Dewsbury, 4 from Wakefield, 12 from Halifax. Pop. 3,099. These are two villages, but one township."


"SPINK WELL, a hamlet in the township and parish of Dewsbury, liberty of Wakefield, half a mile N. of Dewsbury, 6½ from Wakefield."


"STREETSIDE, a hamlet in the townships of Ossett and Soothill, and parish of Dewsbury, liberty of Wakefield, 1½ mile E. of Dewsbury."


"THORNHILLS, in the township of Hartshead with Clifton, and parish of Dewsbury, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 4½ miles E. of Halifax, 6 from Dewsbury."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]