"DINNINGTON, a parish in the S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth, in the West Riding of the county of York, 8 miles S.E. of Rotherham, and 7 N.W. of Worksop. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. Limestone is quarried. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £103, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. John C. Athorpe, Esq., is lord of the manor. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under the Enclosure Act of 1778."