Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for DONCASTER: Doncaster--Hall-Gate Congregational Church History up to 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

DONCASTER: Doncaster--Hall-Gate Congregational Church History up to 1868.

DONCASTER--HALL-GATE.* (CONGREGATIONAL.)

A building was fitted up as an Independent chapel in Hall-gate, 1804. Previously to this time, a few persons had met, since 1798, for prayer and spiritual exercises at a private house. They were assisted by the Revs. James Boden (Sheffield), and Dr. Williams, who encouraged them and promoted the settlement of a minister. In 1799, Rev. SAMUEL BRADLEY (of Rotherham Acy.), ordained Sept. 17, 1800. A church was formed, and steps were taken to build a more commodious chapel. Mr. Bradley left for Manchester, Sept. 1801.
  • 1802. Rev. WILLIAM KING. Soon after his accession, the present chapel in Hall-gate was opened, Oct. 1804. (The ground was purchased by J. Walker, Esq.) It would then accommodate 600 persons. Mr. King resigned in June, 1813, being at the head of a small secession, and took a chapel in Spring Gardens.
  • 1814. Rev. THOMAS HICKS (from Pocklington). He remained at Doncaster till 1819.
  • 1822. Rev. JOHN WOODWARK. The congregation now increased greatly, and additional galleries were built. In 1826, ill-health compelled Mr. Woodwark to resign. He was afterwards settled at Northampton.
  • 1827. Rev. RICHARD FLETCHER (from Highbury Coll.). His stay was short, not reaching a year.
  • 1828. Rev. E. L. SHADRACH (of Rotherham Coll.). After a few months, he removed to Aberystwith.
  • 1830. Rev. SAMUEL McALL (of Rotherham Coll.). His ministry was attended by much success. He removed to Nottingham, 1843, and is now the respected President of Hackney College, London.
  • Four members of this church have at different times entered the Christian ministry.
  • 1844. Rev. G. B. JOHNSON (Coward Coll. From East Retford). Mr. Johnson removed to Darwen.
  • 1844. Rev. W. HARCUS (Cotton End Acy.). From Loughborough; left 1854; now at Liverpool.
  • 1856. Rev. CORNELIUS CURTIS TYTE (Rotherham Coll. From Wellingboro). Professor at Rotherham. Mr. Tyte removed, in 1864, to take the pastoral charge at Howard Street, Sheffield.
  • 1864. Rev. EDWARD S. PROUT, M.A., New College (of London Univ.). From Norwich. The present minister (in 1868).

NOTES:-
* Aided by Revs. S. Mc All, and E. S. Prout, M.A.


Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.