Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Doncaster:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Doncaster:


"BALBY, in the township of Hexthorpe with Balby, soke and parish of Doncaster, lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 1¾ miles S. of Doncaster, 5¾ from Tickhill, 10¾ from Rotherham."


"CARHOUSE, (the residence of H. Cooke, Esq.) in the township of Warmsworth, and parish of Doncaster, liberty of St. Peter; 1½ miles from Doncaster.

This house was built in 1604, by Hugh Childers, Esq. who was that year Mayor of Doncaster. His grandson, Leonard Childers, Esq. bred at this place the famous bay Childers, the fleetest race horse ever known in England. Miller's Doncaster."


"GREENHOUSE, (the residence of Dr. Chorley) in the township, soke, and parish of Doncaster; 1½ mile from Doncaster."


"HEXTHORPE, in the soke and parish of Doncaster, lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, 1¾ miles SW. of Doncaster, 10½ from Rotherham. Pop. including Balby, 395, which being united, form a township."


"LANGTHWAITE, a single house in the parish of Doncaster, lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; 4 miles from Doncaster, 9 from Thorne. Pop. including Tilts, 21, which being united, form a township."


"LONG SANDAL, or Sandal Parva, in the township of Wheatley with Sandal, and parishes of Kirk Sandal and Doncaster, lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, soke of Doncaster; 3 miles NE. of Doncaster, 8 from Thorne."


"LOVERSALL, in the soke and parish of Doncaster, lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; (the residence of the Rev. Alexander Cook) 3 miles S. of Doncaster, 4 from Tickhill, 10 from Rotherham. Pop. 131. The Church is a perpetual curacy, value, p.r. !£37. 4s. Patron, the Vicar of Doncaster.

The Church of Loversall was repaired in 1783, by Mr. Henry Overton, who, in pulling down the porch, destroyed a curious piece of antiquity over the doorway, bearing an Arabic inscription, (in English, obey the lord.)

In the church yard is an ancient and singular tomb, probably belonging one of the Knights of St. John, of Jerusalem.

About one mile northward of Loversall, near Alverley, is St. Helen's Well, a place of considerable resort for the benefit of bathing. A circular Stone Bath was built by the late William Dixon Loversall, Esq. and a small house adjoining, for the convenience of bathers. The Bath is supplied with water in a few minutes, by a strong spring on the spot. A person attends, from Loversall, daily, during the summer season, as an assistant to the bathers, who are accommodated with dresses gratis. --Miller's History of Doncaster."


"NETHER HALL, (the seat of Mrs. Copley) in the township and parish of Doncaster; quarter of a mile from Doncaster."


"TILTS, 2 houses in the township of Langthwaite with Tilts, and parish of Doncaster, lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; 4 miles N. of Doncaster, 9 from Thorne. Pop. included in Langthwaite."


"WHEATLEY, (the seat of Sir George Cooke, Bart.) in the soke and parish of Doncaster, lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 2¼ miles N. of Doncaster, 9 from Thorne. Pop. Including Sandal Parva, 169, which being united, form a township."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]