"DRAX, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of Barkstone Ash, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles N. of Snaith, and 6 S.E. of Selby, its post town and nearest railway station on the North-Eastern line. It is situated W. of the river Ouse, and N. of the Aire, and contains the townships of Drax, Long Drax, Camblesforth, and Newland. The land is chiefly arable. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £81, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The parochial charities produce about £930 per annum, nearly the whole of which is the revenue of Reed's school and almshouses, founded in 1669. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have places of worship. Colonel Thompson is lord of the manor."
"CAMBLESFORTH, a township in the parish of Drax, and wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N. of Snaith. It lies near the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, on which Snaith is a station. Here are a small endowed free school and six endowed almshouses. The township shares the benefit of the free school at Drax. The chief residence is Camblesforth Hall, the seat of Sir C. Blois, Bart."
"LONG DRAX, a township in the parish of Drax, in the lower division of the wapentake of Barkstone Ash, in the West Riding of the county of York It is situated at the confluence of the river Derwent with the Ouse. It has traces of the priory of Black Canons founded by William Paganel, in the reign of Henry I."
"NEWLAND, a township in the parish of Drax, lower division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Snaith, its post town. The village, is small, situated on the river Aire, and entirely agricultural. Newland Park is the principal residence."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013