"EAST MARTON, a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.W. from Skipton, containing 382 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the Icing's books at £ 14. 14. 4. Mrs. Heber was patroness in 1816. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. Various small sums, from a bequest by Nicholas Stowell, in 1597, and other subsequent donations, are applied to the instruction of poor children."