"EAST ARDSLEY, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.N.W. from Wakefield, containing 832 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with £ 10 per annum private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Earl, of Cardigan. The neighbourhood abounds with coal, and some of the mines have been worked upwards of a century. Here is a small endowed free school."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]