"ECCLESFIELD, is a large and populous township, in the parish of its name, and wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, West Riding, about four miles and a half north of Sheffield. The making of files and nails is carried on here, together with flax spinning and the manufacture of thread, &c. The places of worship are the parish church, dedicated to St. John the baptist, and a chapel each for calvinists and Wesleyan methodists. The living of Ecclesfield is a vicarage, of which the Rev. Thomas Richard Ryder is the incumbent; his present curate is the Rev. H. H. Pearson. In the township is a free school, for children of both sexes, and in the parish are several sets of alms-houses, for poor and aged men and women. About two miles hence, on the road to Barnsley, is the hamlet of Chapel Town, where are several large iron works, the most extensive of which are those belonging to Messrs. Newton, Chambers and Co. at Thorncliff, who employ about four hundred hands. The hamlet contains a chapel for Wesleyan methodists, and a free school. The entire parish of Ecclesfield contained, by the returns for 1831, 13,415 inhabitants, of which number 7,911 were returned for the township of Ecclesfield."
"BRADFIELD, is a chapelry, in the parish of Ecclesfield, 7 miles n.w. by w. from Sheffield. The village is situate at the head of a wild, mountainous and romantic district, surrounded by uncultivated and barren moors ; the chapelry extending to the borders of Derbyshire. Some of the inhabitants are employed in the manufactures connected with the trade of Sheffield. The places of worship are a chapel of ease to Ecclesfield, and a methodist chapel at Low Bradfield. Within the limits of the chapelry are several endowed schools. The living of Bradfield is a curacy, in the paronage of the vicar of Ecclesfield, and incumbency of the Rev. John Fletcher. The chapelry contained, according to the census taken in 1831, 5,504 inhabitants.
Please see Wadsley for the 1834 directory for this Chapelry."
"STANNINGTON, is a scattered village, in the parish of Ecclesfield, between four and five miles w.n.w. from Sheffield ; situate in a wild and hilly district, and worthy of notice only as containing several manufactories for pocket knives of a coarse description, and razors. The church, which is a neat Gothic edifice, was erected in 1830, by subscription, aided by a grant from the parliamentary commissioners. The presentation is in the vicar of Ecclesfield, and the Rev. William Gill is the present incumbent. There are besides a chapel each for unitarians and methodists. Population returned with the parish.
Please see Wadsley for the 1834 directory for this Village."
"WADSLEY, is a village, in the parish of Ecclesfield, in the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, West Riding, about three miles n.w. from Sheffield. The principal trade here is in the manufacture of a coarse description of pocket knives, known in the cutlery trade by the name ' flat backs.' A church is erecting at this place, at the sole expense of the Misses Harrison, who are owners of considerable property here : it is a handsome building, in the Gothic style of architecture, having an elegant spire. The edifice, nearly completed, is expected to be consecrated on the 1st of May, 1834. The patronage of the living is vested by act of parliament in the founders of the church and their heirs. The other place of worship is a chapel for Wesleyan methodists. Population returned with the parish."