GENUKI Home page    Ecclesfield Parish<br>main page Ecclesfield
Parish
main page

ECCLESFIELD:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"ECCLESFIELD, a parish in the northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-AND-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Bradfield, and the townships of Aldwark and Ecclesfield, and containing 12,496 inhabitants, of which number, 7163 are in the township of Ecclesfield, 5 miles N. from Sheffield. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at 19. 3. 4., and in the patronage of Earl Fitzwilliam. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is in the later style of English architecture, and has lately received an addition of three hundred and ninetyseven sittings, of which two hundred are free, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted 200 toward defraying the expense. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The manufacture of hardware, similar to that at Sheffield, is carried on at this place. There are several endowed schools; that at Ecclesfield is supported out of the feoffee estate of this extensive parish, with 21 per annum, for teaching eighteen poor children. Sylvester's hospital, for seven poor persons, was founded and endowed by Edward Sylvester, in 1693; the income, aided by a bequest of 200 from Ann Reresby, in 1801, amounts to about 100 per annum, which, after providing for repairs, &c., is divided among the inmates. Barnes Hall hospital, for six poor people, was erected in the 15th of Charles I., by Richard Watts, to whom Sir Richard Scott, in 1668, devised certain estates for the purpose. An almshouse, for three poor persons of Ecclesfield and three of Owleston, was erected by George Bamforth, and is kept in repair by the parish. There was formerly an Alien priory of Benedictine monks to the abbey of St. Wandragisilius, in Normandy, which, at their suppression, was granted by Richard II. to the Carthusian monastery of St. Anne, near Coventry. In the neighbourhood are vestiges of a Roman intrenchment, termed Devil's Ditch."


"ALDWARD, a township in the parish of ECCLESFIELD, northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH and TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles N.E. from Rotherham, containing 35 inhabitants."


"BOLSTERSTONE, a chapelry in the parish of ECCLESFIELD, northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH and TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles N.N.W. from Sheffield. The population is returned with the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with 200 royal bounty, and 200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of J. Remington, Esq."


"BRADFIELD, a chapelry in the parish of ECCLESFIELD, northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH and TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles W.N.W. from Sheffield, containing 5298 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry'and diocese of York, endowed with 400 private benefaction, 400 royal bounty, and 1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Ecclesfield. This chapelry lies in a mountainous part of the county, and is surrounded by uncultivated and barren moors. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Many of the inhabitants are employed in different branches of manufacture connected with the trade at Sheffield. Fairs are held on June 17th and December 9th. An estate, called the Feoffees' estate, produces about 172 per annum, which is chiefly applied in repairing the chapel, and in defraying those local expenses for which a rate is usually imposed. A school at Lower Bradfield is endowed with a house (in which the master resides), a croft, and a garden, besides a rent-charge of 10, for which eighteen children are instructed. There is a school at Bolterstone, endowed with about 40 per annum and a house occupied by the master, chiefly from a bequest by John Hodgkinson, in 1780, for the free instruction of all children within the chapelry. The school at Onesacre has an endowment of about 14 per annum and a re sidence for the master, who teaches sixteen children gratuitously."


"MIDHOPE, a chapelry in the parish of ECCLESFIELD, northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-and-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.S.W. from Penistone. The population is returned with the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with 800 royal bounty, and 200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Major-General Bawille."


"STAININGTON, a chapelry in the parish of ECCLESFIELD, northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-and-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.W. from Sheffield. The chapel, erected under the late act for promoting the building of additional churches, Sac., was finished in November 1829, at an expense of 260?.% 19. 3., defrayed by the parliamentary commissioners; it is in the later style of English architecture, with a cupola, and contains seven hundred and twenty-two sittings, of which three hundred and sixty-six are free."


"STANNINGTON, a chapelry in the parish of ECCLESFIELD, nopthern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-and-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles W. from Sheffield. The population is returned with the parish. The chapel has been recently completed, at the expense of 2607. 19. 3., defrayed by the parliamentary commissioners, and contains seven hundred and twenty-two sittings, of which, three hundred and sixty-six are free; it is in the patronage of the Vicar of Ecclesfield. The manufacture of cutlery is here extensive."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014