GENUKI Home page    Ecclesfield Parish<br>main page Ecclesfield
Parish
main page

ECCLESFIELD:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"ECCLESFIELD, a parish in the N. division of the wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Sheffield, its post town, and 10 S. of Barnsley. It is situated on the London and Leeds road, and includes several townships and hamlets, the principal of which are Aldwark, Bradfield, Bolsterstone, Ecclesfield, Chapel Town, Midhope, Stannington, Oughtibridge, and Wadsley. In the Domesday Survey this place is called Eclesfelt. A priory of St. Wandrille once flourished here, and was afterwards annexed to the monastery of St. Anne, a Carthusian community, near Coventry. The district abounds in coal, iron, and brick clay, which are extensively worked, and the manufacture of forks, nails, files, brace-bits, &c., affords employment to a large portion of the people. There are also an iron foundry, corn-mill, and flax-mill. Ecclesfield is the head of a superintendent registry, but is included within the Barnsley new County Court district. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value 573. The parish church is an old edifice in the perpendicular style of architecture, containing several monumental tablets and tombs. It is dedicated to St. Mary, and was formerly called the " Minster," or "Chapel of the Moors," and formed part of the ancient priory. There are also the following district churches, viz. Bradfield, perpetual curacy, value 200, in the patronage of the Vicar of Ecclesfield; Bolsterstone, perpetual curacy, value 119; Midhope, perpetual curacy, value 70; Chapel Town, perpetual curacy, value 150, in the patronage of the crown and bishop alternately; Stannington, perpetual curacy,* value 150, in the patronage of the vicar; Wadsley, perpetual curacy,* value 230; Oughtibridge, perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Incumbent of Wadsley. The charitable endowments of the parish produce between 400 and 500 per annum, of which sum 104 is for Sylvester Hospital, and about 100 to the schools. The Independents, Wesleyans, and New Connexion Methodists have each a chapel; and there are National schools for both sexes, also an infant school, all partaking of the endowments. In the neighbourhood are vestiges of a camp, and other Roman remains. The Duke of Norfolk is lord of the manor. Some handsome residences are situated in this parish, the principal of which are Barnes Hall, Page Hall, Cowley Manor, and Cliff House."


"ALDWARK, a village in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth, in the West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the N.E. of Rotherham. It is situated on the river Don and the North Midland railway. Aldwark Hall is the principal residence."


"BELL HOUSES, a hamlet in the parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles from Rotherham."


"BIRLEY CAR, a hamlet in the parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N. of Sheffield."


"BOLSTERSTONE, a township in the chapelry of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, in the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, West Riding of the county of York, 8 miles to the N.W. of Sheffield. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, of the value of 119, in the patronage of J. Rimington, Esq. The church was erected soon after the beginning of the 15th century."


"BRADFIELD, a chapelry in the parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the N.W. of Sheffield, its post town. It lies on the border of Derbyshire, in a mountainous and moorland district, the surface rising at Bradfield Point to the height of 1,246 feet. The Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railway passes near this place. The chapelry is of great extent, embracing an area of about 33,700 acres, and contains 18 hamlets, among which are Nether Bradfield, Bradfield Dale, Bolterstone, Midhope, Onesacre, Gate, Smallfield, &c. The district is watered by the river Don, along the banks of which there is much picturesque scenery. The pursuits of the inhabitants are chiefly agricultural, but many are employed in the various branches of the hardware manufacture. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, of the value of 200, in the patronage of the Vicar of Ecclesfield. The church is in the early English style of architecture, and is situated on a hill commanding a fine view. There is a chapel belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists. At Bailey Hill, near the church, is a Saxon encampment; and at Castle Hill, on the opposite side of the village, is another ancient earthwork. There are several other remains of antiquity in the chapelry Fairs are held at Bradfield on the 17th June and the 9th December."


"BRIGHTHOLMLEE, a hamlet in the chapelry of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the N.W. of Sheffield."


"BRUCKEN HILL, a hamlet in the parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N. of Sheffield."


"BURNCROSS, a hamlet in the parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the N. of Sheffield."


"BUTTERTHWAITE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the N. of Sheffield. It is near the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railway."


"CHAPELTOWN, a hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Ecclesfield, in the West Riding of the county of York, 10 miles N. of Sheffield, its post town. It is a station on the Sheffield and Barnsley line. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value 150, in the patronage of the crown and Archbishop of York alternately. The church, dedicated to St. John, was built by subscription in 1860. It is a stone edifice, in the pointed style, with a beautiful spire. There is a chapel of ease at Mortomley. The Independents and Wesleyans have places of worship, and there are National and British schools. The charities produce 130 per annum. The Duke of Norfolk is lord of the manor."


"DUNGWORTH, a village in the parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles N.W. of Sheffield."


"FAIREST, a village in the chapelry of Bradfield and parish of Ecclesfield, West Riding county York, 7 miles N.W. of Sheffield."


"GREEN, a village in the chapelry of Bradfield and parish of Ecclesfield, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Sheffield."


"GREENOSIDE, a village in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 4 miles N. of Sheffield."


"HESLEY THORPE, a village in the parish of Ecclesfield, West Riding of county York, 4 miles N.W. of Rotherham."


"HIRST, a village in the parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Sheffield. Coal and iron are worked. The inhabitants are engaged in the cutlery and hardware manufactures."


"HOLDSWORTH, a village in the chapelry of Bradfield and parish of Ecclesfield, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Sheffield."


"MIDHOPE, a village in the chapelry of Bradfield, parish of Ecclesfield, N. division of the wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 2.1 miles S.W. of Peniston. Sheffield is its post town. It is situated on the river Dun, near Midhope-Over. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1818. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value 70. There is a National school."


"MOORWOOD, a hamlet in the chapelry of Bradfield, parish of Ecclesfield, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Sheffield. It is situated under Bradfield Point, which attains an altitude of 1,246 feet."


"MORTOMLEY, a village in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Sheffield. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the neighbouring collieries and iron works."


"NETHER SHIRE, a village in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 6 miles N. of Sheffield."


"ONESACRE, a hamlet in the chapelry of Bradfield and parish of Ecclesfield, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Sheffield."


"OUGHTIBRIDGE WITH GATE, a village and ecclesiastical district in the chapelry of Bradfield, parish of Ecclesfield, West Riding county York, 6 miles N. of Sheffield. It is a station on the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railway. It is situated on the river Dun, and has recently been formed into a separate ecclesiastical district. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the manufacture of steel and in the making of files, which latter is carried on to a considerable extent. The substratum contains good building-stone. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of York, and in the patronage of the Incumbent of Wadsley. The church was erected in 1842. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. At Onesacre is a school endowed with 15 per annum."


"OWLERTON, a village in the parish of Ecclesfield, West Riding county York, 4 miles N. of Sheffield."


"POTTER'S HILL, a village in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Sheffield."


"SHIRE GREEN, a village in the parish of Ecclesfield, West Riding county York, 4 miles N. of Sheffield."


"SKEWHILL, a village in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 4 miles N. of Sheffield."


"STANNINGTON, a township in the parish of Ecclesfield, West Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Sheffield."


"STORRS, a hamlet in the parish of Ecclesfield, West Riding county York, 4 miles W. of Sheffield."


"THOMPSON'S HILL, a village in the parish of Ecclesfield, West Riding county York, 4 miles N. of Sheffield."


"UGHILL, a village in the chapelry of Bradfield and parish of Ecclesfield, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Sheffield."


"WADSLEY, (and Wadsley Bridge), villages in the parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Sheffield. At Wadsley Bridge is a station on the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincoln railway. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the collieries, and in the manufacture of clasp knives. The living is a curacy in the diocese of York, value 230. The church was erected in 1834."


"WHARNCLIFFE SIDE, a hamlet in the chapelry of Bradfield and parish of Ecclesfield, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.W. of Sheffield, and 4 from Wortley. It is situated on the river Don, and adjoins Wharncliffe Park and Chase, the demesne of Lord Wharncliffe."


"WHITLEY, a hamlet in the parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 4 miles N. of Sheffield."


"WINCOBANK, a hamlet in the parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 4 miles N. of Sheffield."


"WISEWOOD, a hamlet in the parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Sheffield."


"WORRALL, a division in the township of Bradfield and parish of Ecclesfield, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Sheffield."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014