GENUKI Home page    Ecclesfield Parish Ecclesfield
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Ecclesfield:


"ALDWARKE HALL, (the residence of Samuel Walker, Esq.) in the parish of Ecclesfield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Wakefield; 2 miles NE. of Rotherham, 10 from Doncaster. Pop. including Wheatcroft, 35, which being united, form a township.

Aldwarke, the ancient seat of the Clarelles, Fitzwilliams, and Foljambes, lies remote from the parish of Ecclesfield; being separated from it by the parishes of Rawmarsh and Rotherham. In this house was born William Fitzwilliam, an eminent naval commander, and Earl of Southampton, in the sixteenth contury. He was the second son of Sir Thomas Fitzwilllam, Knight, of Aldwarke Hall. He died at Newcastle, in 1542, when on an expedition to Scotland. Of the personal character of this great man, it is said that there was not a serviceable man under his command whose name he knew not; not a week passed but be paid his ships; and not a prize but his seamen shared in as well as himself. --Biog. Dict."


"BARNSGREEN, a hamlet in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, upper division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 5 miles N. of Sheffield, 8 from Rotherham, 10 from Barnsley.

Here is an Hospital called Barns Hall Hospital, for six poor people, built and endowed in 1638, by Sir Richard Scott, Bart. with 30. per annum. The old Hall, formerly the seat of the ancient family of the Scotts, is now converted into cottages."


"BINGLEY SEAT, in the parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill; 4 miles W. of Sheffield."


"BIRLEY CAR, in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 3 miles N. of Sheffield, 9½ from Penistone."


"BOLSTERSTONE, in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 9 miles from Penistone and 9 miles SW. of Barnsley. The Church is a perpetual curacy, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, p.r. !60. Patron, J. Rimmington, Esq.

The chapel here appears to have been founded as early as 1412, by Sir Robert Rockley; originally a private chantry of that family, though it came at length to be used as a place of public worship by the inhabitants of the manor, living at a great distance. At the time of the foundation of this chapel, the Rockleys were owners of the Manor of Bolsterstone, which it appears they had obtained by the marriage of Robert de Rockley with Alice, the sole daughter of Sir Thomas Sheffield. Robert de Rokeley lived in the time of Richard II. and was the chief of an ancient family residing at Rockley, in Worsboroughdale, where they appear to have been seated as early as the reign of Henry II. Hunter's Hallamshire."


"BRADFIELD, (or High and Low Bradfield), in the parish of Ecclesfield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Hallamshire; 6 miles NW. of Sheffield, 9 from Penistone. No Market. Fairs, Friday fortnight before Goodfriday, June 17, and second Friday after old Michaelmas day, for horned cattle, pigs, &c. Pop. 5,298. The Church is a perpetual curacy, under Ecclesfield, of which the Vicar is Patron, value, p.r. !124.

The Chapelry of Bradfield is a "bleak, high, and mountainous tract of country, lying between the Riveling and the Don, extending north westward to the point, where meet the three counties of Chester, Derby, and York." Some portions of it are among the highest grounds of the English Apennines. "Near the church is Bailey Hill, a Saxon camp, as fair and perfect as when first constructed, save that the keep is overgrown with bushes." --Hunter's Hallamshire."


"BRIGHTHOLMLEE, in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, Upper division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 7 miles NW. of Sheffield, 10 from Rotherham."


"BROOMHEAD HALL, (the seat of James Rimmington, Esq.) in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 7 miles from Penistone, 10 from Sheffield, 11 from Hope, (Derby.)

This house was for many years the seat of the family of Wilson; and was built in the reign of Charles I. by Christopher Wilson, who was one of those gentlemen in this part of this county, who were fined for having neglected to appear at the King's Coronation, to receive the order of Knighthood. He had afterwards a Captain's commission in the Parliament army. This house, says Hunter's Hallamshire, "has a strong claim on the notice and respect of every lover of Hallamshire Topography. It was the birth place and the constant residence of John Wilson, Esq. (great grandson of Christopher Wilson, the builder of the present house) a gentleman to whom we owe the preservation of so much documentary matter, which, but for his care, it is too probable, would have been entirely lost, leaving this district destitute of that evidence by which alone the character of authenticity can be given to the history of many of its institutions, and the account of many of its principal Inhabitants." --Hunter's Hallamshire."


"BRUSH HOUSE, (the seat of John Booth, Esq.) in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, 3 miles from Sheffield, 5 from Rotherham, 10 from Barnsley."


"BURNCROSS, or Far Cross, a hamlet in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, 7 miles from Sheffield and Barnsley, 8 from Rotherham."


"BUTTERTHWAITE, in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 4½ miles N. of Sheffield, 6 from Rotherham, 9 from Barnsley."


"CHAPELTOWN, in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, upper division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 6 miles NW. of Rotherham, 6 from Sheffield, 7½ from Barnsley."


"COMBES, Far and Near, a hamlet in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 5 miles NW. of Sheffield."


"DARLANDS, or Dearland, in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 4 miles from Sheffield, 6 from Rotherham, 9 from Penistone."


"DEEPCAR, in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 9 miles NW. of Sheffield, 5 from Penistone."


"DUNGWORTH, in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, Upper division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 6 miles WNW. of Sheffield, 9 from Rotherham, 10 from Penistone."


"DYSON HOLM, or Dyson Cote, a farm-house in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 6 miles NW. of Sheffield."


"ELD, in the parish of Ecclesfield, and wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill; 3 miles N. of Sheffield."


"ELM GREEN, a hamlet in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, 3 miles from Sheffield, 7½ from Rotherham."


"EWDEN, 2 or 3 farm-houses in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 6 miles from Hope, (Derbys.)"


"FOLDRINGS, a farm-house in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 5 miles NW. of Sheffield."


"GRENOFIRTH, a district, or part of the township and parish of Ecclesfield."


"GRENOSIDE, in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, 5 miles N. of Sheffield, 6 from Rotherham, 8 from Penistone,"


"HATFIELD HOUSE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, 4 miles S. of Sheffield, 5 from Rotherham."


"HIGH GREEN, a hamlet in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, 7 miles N. of Sheffield, and 7 from Barnsley, and Rotherham."


"HOLDEN HOUSE, or Hollin House, a farm-house in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, 8 miles SW. of Penistone."


"HOLDWORTH, a hamlet in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 6 miles NW. of Sheffield."


"HOUSLEY HALL, a single house in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, 6½ miles from NW. of Sheffield and 6½ from Barnsley.

Housley Hall appears to have derived its name from a family of Houseley, who resided here in the early part of the reign of Henry VI. --Hunter's Hallamshire."


"HUNGER HILL, a single house in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 8 miles NW. of Sheffield, 9½ from Barnsley."


"HURST GREEN, a hamlet in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, 9 miles NW. of Sheffield."


"LANGLEY BROOK, 2 or 3 h. in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, 3 miles S. of Sheffield."


"LOW BRADFIELD, (or Nether Bradfield) in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Hallamshire; 6¼ miles NW. of Sheffield.

Here is a School founded in 1712, by Mr. Thomas Marriott, of Ughill, who endowed it with 10. per annum."


"LOXLEY, in the parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill; 4 miles WNW. of Sheffield."


"MALINBRIDGE, (or Malon Bridge, or Malin Bridge) in the township of Wadsley and parish of Ecclesfield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 3 miles from Sheffield."


"MIDDLETON GREEN, a hamlet in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, 4½ miles N. of Sheffield, 8 from Rotherham."


"MIDDLEWOOD HALL, in the parish of Ecclesfield, township of Bradfield; built by Mark Skelton in 1810. Henry Skelton describes himself as a merchant on the 1841 census and the family also part owned local steel making forges on the River Don. They had around 10-12 servants in the mid 1800s. It was a hotel for a short time in the 1980's but has been developed in the late 1990's into a large private home again. The Hall outbuildings have also been converted into private living accommodation. [Pauline Bell 2005]"


"MIDHOPE, in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 4½ miles from Penistone, 12 from Sheffield. The Chapel, dedicated to St. James, is a perpetual curacy, value, p.r. 40. Patron, William Bosville, Esq. as Lord of the Manor,

This place gave name to a family, called De Midhope, several of which were knighted. They were Lords of the Manor, and had their residence within the village. From De Midhopes, the manor passed to the De Barnbys, of which family Edmund was lord in temp. Edward III. One Henry Hall sold the same in 1690, to Godfrey Bosville of Gunthwaite, Esq. in which family it appears to have remained ever since. --Hunter's Hallamshire."


"MORE HALL, a farm-house in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 7 miles from Sheffield.

This was anciently, the seat of a family of the name of More, who appear to have resided here from the reign of Henry VII. till the first of Edward VI. More, of More Hall, cuts a conspicous figure in the famous ballad of the Dragon of Wantley. There are no remains of the old house. --Hunter's Hallamshire."


"MORTOMLEY, in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, upper division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 6 miles SW. of Rotherham, 6½ from Sheffield, 8 from Barnsley."


"NETHER BANK, scattered houses in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, 4 miles NE. of Sheffield, 5 from Rotherham."


"NETHER SHIRE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, (Shire House, the seat of Hugh Meller, Esq.) 4 miles N. of Sheffield, 5 from Rotherham."


"NORTH WOOD SEAT, a farm-house in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, 6½ miles from Sheffield, 7 from Penistone."


"OLD BOOTH, a hamlet in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 6 miles S. of Penistone, 12 from Sheffield."


"ONES ACRE, a hamlet in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 5 miles from Sheffield, 9 from Penistone."


"OUGHTIBRIDGE, in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 4 miles NW. of Sheffield, 9 from Penistone."


"PAGE HALL, (the seat of George Bustard Greaves, Esq.) in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 3 miles from Sheffield, 4½ from Rotherham."


"RAILS, a hamlet in the parish of Ecclesfield, 4 miles west of Sheffield. (data added May 2000, -CH)"


"ROYDS, a single house in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 5 miles NW. of Sheffield.

This house, with eleven others, formerly belonged to the dissolved Priory or Hospital of St. John, of Jerusalem; and was distinguished by an iron or wooden cross, fixed in some conspicuous part of the building. --Hunter's Hallamshire."


"SHIRE GREEN, in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, upper division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 3 miles NNE. of Sheffield, 4 from Rotherham, 11 from Barnsley."


"SHIRTCLIFFE HALL, (the seat of William Bingley, Esq.) in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, 2 miles N. of Sheffield."


"SIGSWORTH, a farm-house in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 3 miles from Sheffield, 5 from Rotherham."


"SMALL FIELD, a few farm-houses in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 7 miles NNW. of Sheffield, 9 from Penistone."


"SOUTH WOOD SEAT, a farm-house in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, 6½ miles from Sheffield, 7 from Penistone."


"SOUTHEY GREEN, a hamlet in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, 3 miles N. of Sheffield, 5 from Rotherham.

This is a district or part of the parish, that has churchwardens and other officers appointed; but all collections and payments are made jointly as the township of Ecclesfield."


"SPRINGFIELD HOUSE, (the seat John Mann, Esq.) in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield."


"STANNINGTON, in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, Upper division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 4 miles W. of Sheffield, 12 from Penistone.

This is only the name of an extensive tract of high ground declining on the north to the river Loxley, and on the south to the Riveling; there being, properly speaking, no village of Stannington, the principal collection of houses being known as Upper Gate and Nether Gate. Here is a School, endowed in 1723, with 40. for which five children were to be taught, to be chosen by Francis Rouksley, of Rivelingside. --Hunter's Hallamshire."


"STOCKSBRIDGE, in the parish of Ecclesfield. Less than 200 years ago the only inhabitants of the Little Don and Ewden valleys were mainly agricultural workers; the only buildings scattered smallholdings and farms attached to the manor houses of minor gentry, cottages of blacksmiths and stonemasons and the churches which served the village communities. The earliest signs of industry, cornmills using the water power of the two rivers, were also dependent on the products of the land. The 1851 census shows that the majority of employment was still on the land, although by then coal had been discovered and mining became the next largest occupation. Many small outcrops were worked as well as deeper shafts. Lead had been worked in the Bitholmes and Ewden until exhausted, but now clays were also discovered.

The Industrial Revolution brought much needed employment to the area and we find that our farm workers turned their hands to new skills, but had to compete with a tremendous influx of people from all over the country, attracted by the opportunities of employment in the steel, brick and building industries established here. Within thirty years the population had increased five-fold.

Shops were opened to supply the growing population and what had been beer-houses attached to farms or smithies became public houses and inns serving new roads. There was more employment for carters and builders and a need for more schools.

The agricultural depression caused more hardship for those still dependent on the land, and some farms were abandoned, while some disappeared under new reservoirs. Those that survive are among the oldest buildings in the area, and although many have been restored to provide modern housing, some are still in a ruinous state. A few remain as working farms.

Village communities have existed at Bolsterstone, Deepcar, Wortley, Midhope and Langsett for centuries. Only with the growth of industry in the Don valley did the town of Stocksbridge grow from a group of only seven households clustered around Stocks Bridge in 1850 to the vast sprawl which has now all but absorbed its parent villages.

Stocksbridge information supplied by Jane Lachs of Munich, (June 1999) from the book "Around Stocksbridge". Compiled by the Stocksbridge and District History Society. Please see also the Yorksgen book page."


"STORRS, a hamlet in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 7 miles from Sheffield, 11 from Penistone."


"STORRS GREEN, in the parish of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill; 5 miles WNW. of Sheffield."


"STRINDS, a single house in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 9 miles WNW. of Sheffield, 11 from Penistone."


"THORN SEAT, a hamlet in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 7 miles S. of Penistone, 8½ from Hope, (Derbys.)"


"THORNCLIFFE, in the parish of Ecclesfield, and wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill; 6 miles N. of Sheffield."


"TINKER BROOK, a single house in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 7 miles NW. of Sheffield, 8 from Penistone."


"TOWN END, in the parish of Ecclesfield and wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill; 4 miles W. of Sheffield."


"UGHILL, a hamlet in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 8 miles W. of Sheffield, 9 from Penistone."


"UPPER MIDHOPE, in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 5 miles from Penistone, 13 from Sheffield."


"WADSLEY, in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 3 miles NW. of Sheffield, on the left of the Manchester road.

This was formerly the seat of the knightly family of Wadsley, who held their estate here, by the name of a manor of the great Baron at Sheffield Castle; and they had at Wadsley, a Hall, a Park, and domestic Chapel, which were not wholly destroyed in the reign of Elizabeth, but of which, now only the names remain. --Hunter's Hallamshire."


"WADSLEY BRIDGE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, 3 miles NW. of Sheffield."


"WALDERSHELF, a part of the township of Bradfield, in the parish of Ecclesfield, which with Westnall, form the constablery of Bradfield, Westnall, and Waldershelf; 7 miles from Sheffield."


"WARDSEND, a farm-house in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, 2½ miles from Sheffield.

This ancient place has been held under the Duke of Norfolk's family, a part of whose estate it is, by several generations of the family of Rawson, in which family it still remains, a pedigree from the 16th Edward IV. may be seen in Hunter's Hallamshire."


"WESTNALL, a district or division of Bradfield township, in the parish of Ecclesfield, which, with Waldershelf, form the constablery and township of Bradfield, Westnall, and Waldershelf."


"WHEAT CROFT, a farm-house in the township of Aldwarke with Wheat Croft, and parish of Ecclesfield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 2 miles from Rotherham. Pop. included in Aldwark."


"WHITLEY, in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; (Whitley Hall, the seat of William Bingley, Esq.) 5 miles N. of Sheffield, 9 from Barnsley."


"WHITWELL, a farm-house in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 8 miles from Penistone."


"WIGTWIZZLE, a farm-house in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 6 miles S. of Penistone, 12 from Sheffield."


"WINCO BANK, a hamlet in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, (Winco Bank Hall, the seat of Joseph Reads, Esq.) 4 miles NNE. of Sheffield and 4 from Rotherham, 10 from Barnsley."


"WOOD SEATS, in the parish of Ecclesfield and wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill; 6 miles WNW. of Sheffield."


"WORRALL, in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 4½ miles NW. of Sheffield."


"YEWS, a hamlet in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Ecclesfield, 4¼ miles NW. of Sheffield, 10½ from Rotherham."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson 2007]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014